Thread: Wireless Changes?

Beans

Wireless Changes?

Alright so we all know about the fuss from wireless and people asking constantly about the installation of a wireless card/usb/etc etc. Here's my question:

With the release of Ubuntu 8.04LTS, what changes have been made to make this more user friendly/easier to get through? Personally I never got it working and thus never used 7.10 to its full potential at all. Are there any changes even?

Thank you very much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Wireless Changes?

I think that depends on your wireless card. I have an atheros wireless card and it works out of the box. If you have a wireless card that additional drivers need to be installed, i would hook up to a wired network boot from a live cd and check if you card shows in system -> administration -> hardware drivers. This utility seems to have improved since the last release though i can't say exactly how because my hardware is well supported. If you have a card without a linux driver the process may be more difficult because you have to use ndiswrapper and windows driver files. I'm not very familiar with that process and i don't think that there is a built in utility to streamline that process.
    if ignorance is bliss, where are all the happy people
    Jeremy