Thread: So, if I but somthing in america, how different will it be from the Aussie version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So, if I but somthing in america, how different will it be from the Aussie version

Damn it, misspelled the title, ment to be if I buy something in America.

I have a bit of a problem.
    My grandma's laptop has kicked the bucket (after many many years)
    and I am thinking at the eee900. I really want to get the linux version, because the simple interface is perfect for her, the problem is, that in Australia (here) the linux version will cost more than the XP version, and I the only way that I will be able to convince the eventual purchaser to get the linux version, is if it is the same price, but has a bigger hard drive.

That is what is happening in America,and I know someone who is going to see there family in Dallas, in a few months. hmm. He has offered to pick up any electronics that I want because they are a lot cheaper over there. (the eee 4g is 500 AUD here) so I need to know, if I ask him to get a eee900, I know I will need a power adapter, to get whatever it is you use to 240volts, the right amperage, and the right shape, but what else will be different? tv out will be for NTCS, not PAL. Am I missing anything?
    Last edited by barbedsaber; May 10th, 2008 at 05:39 AM.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans

Re: So, if I but somthing in america, how different will it be from the Aussie versio

I would assume all you'd need would be a new power adapter, as they only convert from AC->DC. Tv-out isn't a problem these days, pretty much all recent TVs have NTSC and PAL support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: So, if I but somthing in america, how different will it be from the Aussie versio

If you are thinking the eeepc is a normal lappy, it isn't. It is a watered down laptop for those who need a cheap one and is simple to use. It is not ment for power users. If you still think it is a good idea to get one (I want one too because it really cool and I could have a cheap little travel laptop for plane rides), then get it. But here are the specs for it:

eeePC Specs

Also, newegg is awesome, but I don't think they ship overseas.

Sorry if I seem rude or harsh. The eeePC is the coolest little thing ever!