Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Mouse Randomly Goes Berserk!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: My Mouse Randomly Goes Berserk!

Optical mice can have their own quirky little problems, can't they? It could be a dusty sensor, or it could be a shiny mouse pad.. They kind of reflect light and make the pointer go exactly where you did not intend it to. Been there, suffered that.
    Last edited by wabbster; May 10th, 2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: The grammar was WAY off! :(
    Gaze Through... Wonder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by kamitsukai View Post
    i suppose that could be the problem as my room is very dusty...

ps: if i dont reply its because i have stuck the cuetip through my mouse's laser LOL
    Oh crap! Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Its definatley something to do with ubuntu because if i press "Esc" on my keyboard it stops it and it goes back to normal...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Different problem (and OS), similar results. I have a Windows laptop that will do strange (bad) things if I power it up with something attached to serial port. Apparently it thinks serial port is another mouse - incoming data really drives mouse wild. Dunno how this helps your problem, though.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I once had an optical mouse that went crazy every now and then. It was definitely a problem in Ubuntu, because it worked fine in Windows.

How wrong I was. In a matter of days, it stopped working. Somehow, the corrupted data sent by the mouse was driving Ubuntu crazy, but windows apparently just ignored them.

So, before trying something that seems hard to do (or involves money), try using another mouse, if available. Maybe it's the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

im just saying that if its something to do with my mouse then how come it stops when i press "esc"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Before blaming Ubuntu, read EDIT part first!

I'm having the same problem. Cursor moves to the random corner of display and that's it. I'll have to patiently wait then until I can use my computer again for SOME time. If this has any importance, I'm having Logitech USB-cord-mouse on my Dell D600 laptop.

I also notice that from time to time, when writing a letter or document or in pidgin, cursor just jumps to another place, although I can not exclude that I have touched touchpad by accident in those cases.

EDIT:
    However, all this started to happen to me in MS Windows as well! So I'll probably try to unable touchpad (because it happens when I do not have mouse attached) and clean my mouse somehow.

I searched for internet and found these:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-345686.html
    http://www.laptopsunlimited.com/dellmouse/dellmouse.htm

Seems that there is some thing at least with dell laptops.
    Last edited by vussvillem; June 6th, 2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: First staments were not completely true

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had the same problem with a ps2 mouse, and fixed it by getting a USB mouse and works great now.
    Last edited by Duck2006; June 7th, 2008 at 12:41 AM.

Beans

On both my computers I use "trust" mouses.

I think they are the cheapest "brand" available and never had a problem with them.

I picked up a notebook mouse yesterday from them for €13 (£10.4 | $20).

Beans

Hi,
    I once had a hardware failure on my desktop that introduced a software bug on a remote system that was not triggered for days. The code was not invalid as the "interpreter/compiler" did not complain, and it was running successfully in production until the it tripped over the bug.
    I've had a few experts look at me with puzzled looks over that description. Here is what happened. I was logged in using ssh to various remote systems and had several files opened in xemacs on those nodes. My mouse went crazy suddenly, opening new windows clicking random menu selections, and unknown to me at the time it also pasted in a section of code into one of the files. Now the unlucky file was a python file, but it happened to insert text into the middle of a string variable that still made the code valid python but broke the code under a certain rare error condition. Not knowing the code had changed, and having earlier made changes to that file, I missed the handful of extra characters on one line of code that had unintentionally been changed when this was checked into cvs. Testing failed to catch the error as the piece of code is highly integrated into a large distributed computing system (several layers of services between us and a tape robot system), and we did not have the resources, hardware or personnel, to fully simulate every possible error those systems could throw at us. So the code happily passed all tests, was approved for production, and worked fine until a rare error in system managing transfers to the tape robot was returned to our code.
    After replacing the mouse I the random click problem never returned (and yes there were intermittent random clicks for months at a low level before it completely went nuts). And yes, even if this had been C or C++ code the compiler would still have been happy as the code was still valid. If the project had the resources we would have had better testing capabilities, we could not test performance as we had insufficient hardware and had to parasitically use the same network as production without impacting production throughput which was 25 MB/s) at time. Most of our unit tests broke once we integrated with the distributed system and moved away from the dummy stub calls which we could code to return various errors (we needed simulator servers for the distributed system and they did not exist). Oh well, in the future I will be more competent and still get tripped up by the unexpected

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12