Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.04 cups bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

8.04 cups bug?

Really beginning to think that longer testing cycles are in order as the list of bugs with 8.04 are perhaps the most annoying to date.

Right now, I am dealing with CUPs printing out blank pages. So here is how this goes down. My HP Deskjet F4100 all-in-one works fine with Feisty, Gutsy, what have ya. On the host machine, I use HPLIP as it is simply the best in my opinion.

On my 8.04 running notebook, I am using ipp: to connect to my printer. I have been doing ipp connections forever, so the syntax is right and it is verified from the print manager in Heron. Ports are all forwarded, although because of that silly "UFW" annoyance, I tested it again with it completely removed in case the ports were not being opened up right.

Here is where I can prove this is a Heron bug. Connecting to the CUPS server via the IP addy, I can print a test page remotely with zero issues. Trying the same test page (or even one of my own pages) leads to abysmal failure.

So long story short - with my HP Deskjet F4100 networked printer, I can print from the http CUPS manager, while the GNOME CUPS print manager and Ubuntu itself is giving me blank pages.

Now where did I put that 7.10 CD...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 8.04 cups bug?

If I use the "print selection" option in firefox, I get blank pages in Hardy. Gutsy works fine.

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Redid the driver, went with a generic postscript, which is fine for now as it now prints. It's too bad though as this error is going to frustrate a lot of users I suspect...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, definitely going to need to do a LOT of testing before I install 8.04 onto my desktop. There is a reason I run with older releases on it, this is just one such example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I'll confirm these errors. I've been unable to print anything but garbage to my Lexmark C532N, a perfectly compliant network Postscript printer. Meanwhile, the black & white Brother 1470N sitting right next to it is working fine.

Of course, the Lexmark has no problems with Windows or MacOS 10 Postscript output.

Is there some sort of error escalation here? Someplace I should report this?

RR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unfortunately, we do not have a Lexmark to test with.
    Did that printer work under Gutsy?

Also, when installing it, were you given a choice of drivers, and are you sure you chose the correct one? You might try going to system > administration > drivers and deleting that printer and then re-installing it.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by jdb View Post
    If I use the "print selection" option in firefox, I get blank pages in Hardy. Gutsy works fine.

jdb
    The updater just pushed me the new firefox, it's not beta anymore & "print selection" works great!!

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I have been struggling with 8.04 cups and my HPphotosmart 7260 printer which has been working from Dapper Drake to Gutsy and all the upgrades in between. Currently, a print job just sits there and never gets printed. This is a USB connection. I checked th printer on win98SE dual boot and it works fine. the HPLIP 285 is installed.

What is wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello,
    I'm recently switched to Kubuntu 8.04 from Debian. Installing it on my laptop was fairly easy, and the first time I plugged in my HP printer, a small window popped saying it detected it and it was ready to use. I thought it was done, since everything else worked out of the box.
    Today I tried to print, and any KDE application I used to print becomes non-responsive. HPLIP toolbox also hangs, and if I click on Printers in System Settings, it also becomes non-responsive.
    This is not so critical now, but once school starts again I will need printing capabilities. And I don't want to leave this great distro, even the remote control on my laptop works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Which version of HPLIP do you have installed.
    It looks like this problem has been fixed in the most recent version.

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/release_notes.html
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast