Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install VMware Server in Hardy (and later)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install VMware Server in Hardy (and later)

Hi,
    I'm trying to install vmware-server in my pc to run Windows XP.
    The vmare's installation works fine and windows installation also run's well.

I'm having a problem with network. I want bridge network, but when I login in windows, the connection is limitated and shows 10Mb/s. I've already tried with NAT controller and without, everthing that I have seen in posts I've tried and nothing.

Can you please help me?

When I create the bridge it ask's what interface do I want to make the bridge (wlan0 or eth0). What do I choose? I've created both, one with vmnet0 and the other with vmnet2 and I tried to log in windows with both in custom mode or in bridge mode and it still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english?

zeitler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by zeitler View Post
    Hi,

I'm having a problem with network. I want bridge network, but when I login in windows, the connection is limitated and shows 10Mb/s. I've already tried with NAT controller and without, everthing that I have seen in posts I've tried and nothing.

Can you please help me?

When I create the bridge it ask's what interface do I want to make the bridge (wlan0 or eth0). What do I choose? I've created both, one with vmnet0 and the other with vmnet2 and I tried to log in windows with both in custom mode or in bridge mode and it still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the bad english?

zeitler
    I usually choose 'bridge' as it is the easiest to setup and maintain, and acts like any other node according to your router. As for wlan0 or eth0, that means 'wireless ethernet' and 'ethernet' where 'wireless ethernet' is of course your wireless connection and 'ethernet' is your plugged in connection.

For the best connection, you should use 'eth0' unless you are primarily on your wireless network.

I would try turning off your virtual Windows, blowing away all of the ethernet interfaces and start with only one (bridge, eth0, etc.).

Try that and tell me how it goes.

Maybe login to Windows and run 'ipconfig' in the command-prompt so I can see what connection it is trying to use.

Hope that helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have been reading somewhere that on a wifi connection, most wifi routers refuse to speak with a network card that pretends to have two ip addresses. Therefore, I set up my vm to use nat, because in that case, all traffic uses the ip of the host.

Note that I am not an expert, it's just something that I once read and which helped me get things going.

Pieter

Beans

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I have vmnet0 connected to eth0 and vmnet2 to wlan0. When I choose Bridged in network connection, vmnet0 is used by default. I've tried that didn't worked, in custom I choose vmnet2 it didn't work also.
    When I log into windows and I do ipconfig the values of ip and sub-net mask are 0.0.0.0, the other are blank.

I did, in host:

vmnet-bridge -D /dev/vmnet0 wlan0
    Turning on bridge to wlan0...
    Bringing up interface (backward compatability)
    Sleeping forever, bye bye.

it was obvious, it's not for that interface

But when I do this
    vmnet-bridge -D /dev/vmnet2 wlan0
    wlan0: Resource deadlock avoided

Is this ok? I always work in wireless mode, and about the router doesn't allow two ip's for the same machine it's not probably because when I worked with windows vmware worked fine.

Thanks for your replys.
    zeitler

Beans
    Distro

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I have vmnet0 connected to eth0 and vmnet2 to wlan0. When I choose Bridged in network connection, vmnet0 is used by default. I've tried that didn't worked, in custom I choose vmnet2 it didn't work also.
    When I log into windows and I do ipconfig the values of ip and sub-net mask are 0.0.0.0, the other are blank.

I did, in host:

vmnet-bridge -D /dev/vmnet0 wlan0
    Bringing up interface (backward compatability)
    Sleeping forever, bye bye.

it was obvious, it's not for that interface

But when I do this
    vmnet-bridge -D /dev/vmnet2 wlan0
    wlan0: Resource deadlock avoided

Is this ok? I always work in wireless mode, and about the router doesn't allow two ip's for the same machine it's not probably because when I worked with windows vmware worked fine.

Thanks for your replys.
    zeitler
    I think pmasereeuw was correct when he said that wlan0 only allows one connection at a time. Seems like a good feature but it only a postulation on my part.

Try the VMware/Linux docs.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Install VMware Server in Hardy (and later)

Hi

That's right. Wifi doesn't work but etherlan works fine.

Thanks for all the help.

zeitler

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Install VMware Server in Hardy (and later)

Hi,
    I'm just tried to install vmware-server-2.0.0.116503.i386 on Hardy according to this tutorial using install_vmware.sh. Obviously I changed tarball's name in the file to current version and I had to change also any-any updates to 200 from 116. Everything was good until the updates: after fetching repositories program printed 404Not found and aborted with deleting all downloaded and extracted files. If 200 is the point then what it should be there instead?
    Please share your successful experience with installation!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zeiz View Post
    I'm just tried to install vmware-server-2.0.0.116503.i386 on Hardy according to this tutorial using install_vmware.sh. Obviously I changed tarball's name in the file to current version and I had to change also any-any updates to 200 from 116. Everything was good until the updates: after fetching repositories program printed 404Not found and aborted with deleting all downloaded and extracted files. If 200 is the point then what it should be there instead?
    Please share your successful experience with installation!
    I haven't updated the script for VMware Server 2.0.0 yet, so I would wait for that, or compile it yourself. Messing with a script when you don't know what you're doing is potentially dangerous.

Beans

First of all many thanks for creating of the script and the tutorial!
    I installed vmware without using the script as explained in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=779934
    Thanks bodhi.zazen!
    Everything was fine but there is no any icon for vmware in menu and after typing 'vmware' in console firefox opens with invalid certificate notice; after confirming an exception I can see only empty window where "loading..." is shown and "Done" in taskbar. In case of 'sudo vmware' Opera opens instead of Firefox and does show a login window but nothing could be typed in the window. How to start vmware console?
    Last edited by zeiz; October 21st, 2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: obsolete data

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zeiz View Post
    First of all many thanks for creating of the script and the tutorial!
    I installed vmware without using the script as explained in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=779934
    Thanks bodhi.zazen!
    Everything was fine but there is no any icon for vmware in menu and after typing 'vmware' in console firefox opens with invalid certificate notice; after confirming an exception I can see only empty window where "loading..." is shown and "Done" in taskbar. In case of 'sudo vmware' Opera opens instead of Firefox and does show a login window but nothing could be typed in the window. How to start vmware console?
    I thought VMware added a shortcut? I had code in there at one point, but took it out as I thought it created a duplicate shortcut.

What's the output when you run 'vmware' in the terminal?

Example:
    Code:
    $ vmware
    vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
    for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast