Thread: Seriously weird VLC error

Beans

Seriously weird VLC error

For whatever reason, .mkv and .mpg files (so far) but not .avi files won't open in VLC unless I make sure that the filename contains no spaces or '-'. So "Avatar - The Last Airbender.mkv" will not work, but "Avatar.mkv" or "Avatar.The.Last.Airbender.mkv" will work. When it doesn't play the message I get is "no suitable access module" for the file. Is VLC misreading the file as a stream or something weird like that? I wish I could fix this just because I don't use the "." naming convention instead I use dashes and spaces and it's a pain to rename everything to get it to play. Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Seriously weird VLC error

I don't know what it is but I am getting pretty frustrated with this. I never get any help in the forums and this is like the 4th unresponded thread I've made (on separate issues).

Beans

Re: Seriously weird VLC error

I have the same problem. If you manually open the file, ie. go File, then open file the spaces are not a problem. Similarly, if you open the file from the command line and take care of the spaces with \ the files open correctly also. I don't know what the problem is with just double clicking the file.