Thread: Slow Wireless Speeds

Beans

Slow Wireless Speeds

hi;

so i've finally installed hardy on my main pc. i love it! brilliant interface, ALMOST [coming to that in a moment] everything works (hell, thats better than anything micro$hite can muster).

so, after having trouble with my 3com usb wireless dongle, i stuck in the belkin card i know to work perfectly on Dapper (with the exception of having to write a script to get WPA to work, but it works )

the problem is, i'm only getting download speeds a third of what i should be. i checked the link speed, and i'm getting 1mb/s on a 802.11g network. so 1/54th. it's not the position of the pc, as i'm still dual booting windows for games and such, and i'm getting full speed and a brilliant connection. the card also worked perfectly on dapper on my old P2 box.

so, i'm stumped. what the hell could be the problem? the only thing i can think of, is driver efficiency. an open source driver wouldn't be lab tested and refined perfectly, so i would expect a small decrease in performance, but not this.

so, any ideas anyone? the slow browsing speeds are driving me nuts

thanks,
    Joe

p.s. hard wired network wise i'm getting full speeds too. not a general networking problem...

Beans

Re: Slow Wireless Speeds

sorry to do this, but,

TTT

has anyone got any ideas?

Beans

erk, it took me 5 mins to load this page... its getting slower :'(

Beans

It's possible that the card is really running at 1M...

try:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M

and see if the speed improves temporarily.

Beans

yes it has, actually! not as much as i would expect, but web browsing is faster now. i'll have a fiddle and see what i can come up with...

thanks,
    Joe