Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation freezes

Beans

Installation freezes

I have been struggling to install Ubuntu 32-bit over Vista.

I boot from CD, Select my language and Install, then I get the splash screen for a little while until it stops and the disc stops spinning. A few minutes later the splash screen disappears leaving this:

I have tried numerous times all to no avail.
    -- I checked the memory (ok)
    -- I checked the CD (ok)
    -- I tried installing CentOS 5.1 and it crashed as well.

Here is the text from trying to install CentOS

I don't even know where to begin.

Acer Aspire T690
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz
    2038 MB
    32-bit OS

I don't have the BIOS info handy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Installation freezes

Do memtest. Check your drive with TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
    Check all your cables and connections. Update your BIOS. Check your power supply.
    Did you do md5sum?

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do format your HDD manually using Gparted tool (on the live cd or download and burn it to a cd to get a live cd of it ) then create the needed partitions and do the installation.
    Linux user #434738 - Ubuntu user #9391
    Be happy .....think of others and thank GOD.

Kindly mark your thread [SOLVED] if it is done.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Do memtest. Check your drive with TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
    Check all your cables and connections. Update your BIOS. Check your power supply.
    Did you do md5sum?
    -- I selected the memtest option on the ubuntu iso and it was ok.
    -- I also checked the media.

What I find interesting is that both distros failed: ubuntu and centos. I could not install either one.

And I did install centos on another PC using the same discs.
    I'll update the BIOS.

Beans
    Distro

DBan your drive: http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    The use Gparted Live CD and make your partitions. I would still use TestDisk first.

Libertad 584

Beans

DBan your drive: http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    The use Gparted Live CD and make your partitions. I would still use TestDisk first.

Why dban? Can't I just install linux right on top of vista? I just tried to install ubuntu again, this time with "nospash" (F6) to see the messages. Pretty much the same thing as in the pictures above.

Beans
    Distro

That's right; after Micro%&$, DBan.

Libertad 584

Beans

That's right; after Micro%&$, DBan.
    I appreciate the help and suggestions however I would like to understand the reasoning behind it.

The linux install locks up on my PC. How will wiping my disk with dban affect this?

Beans

I'm getting the exact same problem. I've been trying to get linux install for several weeks now. The problems started when I tried to find a free partition manager that could resize my partition (I didn't know about NTFSresize or Gparted), and I think one of the programs that I tried (which of course didn't work because I had to buy the full version) screwed with my bootup. Now, not a single linux distro works, i've probably tried 5 or 6. Unfortunately, I don't have my windows cd on me (im at college), so I don't want to nuke my hard drive without it. Any thoughts?

By the way, linux live cd's worked great before that **** screwed with my computer, I was trying out different distros to find the one i liked most. This crap has been pissing me off for weeks now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cferrell View Post
    I'm getting the exact same problem. I've been trying to get linux install for several weeks now. The problems started when I tried to find a free partition manager that could resize my partition (I didn't know about NTFSresize or Gparted), and I think one of the programs that I tried (which of course didn't work because I had to buy the full version) screwed with my bootup. Now, not a single linux distro works, i've probably tried 5 or 6. Unfortunately, I don't have my windows cd on me (im at college), so I don't want to nuke my hard drive without it. Any thoughts?

By the way, linux live cd's worked great before that **** screwed with my computer, I was trying out different distros to find the one i liked most. This crap has been pissing me off for weeks now.
    Well, during this process something happened to my Vista installation and I can no longer boot to Windows. The Windows Repair states it is unrecoverable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast