Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Convert to Arch

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile New Convert to Arch

Greetings there,
    This morning I completely dumped Ubuntu and installed Arch. It really wasn't that hard, and now I have it setup... somewhat.

There are a few things that are annoying me at the present time, that must be delt with. First off, the Xorg fonts are horrid. If there is some package to get better fonts, I will most definitely need that.

Second, my clock is off. I checked in /etc/rc.conf and TIMEZONE is set to "Canada/Pacific". I would like to see a list of Timezones that I could possibly use, so I can find mine, and set it properly.

According to the ArchLinux Wiki, I should be able to run the following command to obtain a list of all the timezones, yet I receive the error below:
    Code:
    pacman -Ql tzdata | grep zoneinfo | grep -v posix | grep -v right | grep -v .tab | grep -v /$ | sed "s@tzdata /usr/share/zoneinfo/@ @"
    Code:
    error: package "tzdata" not found
    I got Networking, Xorg, Alsa all setup, and currently only have Firefox, gFTP, GPG, SSH, and wmii.

Oh, and then there is this other problem...
    I tried adding my .mozilla folder from my previous installation to my Home Folder, and it never changed any profile for Firefox. Maybe the firefox profile folder is somewhere else on Arch?

I love the fast boot time, and how lightweight my system feels right now
    Cheers,
    Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: New Convert to Arch

As for the fonts, I suggest you to install ttf-bitstream-vera and ttf-dejavu, and ttf-ms-fonts (Microsoft's base fonts).

As for the time, I'm not sure what happened to your tzdata, however you can look up the time zones by browsing through /usr/share/zoneinfo.

I don't know what to suggest you about Firefox.

I hope that helps so far

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to Arch. Sit back and enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    GFirst off, the Xorg fonts are horrid. If there is some package to get better fonts, I will most definitely need that.
    Look on the arch wiki for fonts - there is a big list of font packages. I recommend ttf-dejavu, artwiz-fonts, ttf-ms-fonts, and terminus-font.

I would like to see a list of Timezones that I could possibly use, so I can find mine, and set it properly.
    Look in /usr/share/zoneinfo for the timezones.

Maybe the firefox profile folder is somewhere else on Arch?
    I don't personally use firefox so I can't check, but as far as I'm aware the distro doesn't affect the place a program stores its settings.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok. I think the fonts are straightend out now. But my timezone...
    Well, I set TIMEZONE to say:
    Code:
    TIMEZONE="America/New_York"
    Rebooted and everything, and it is still saying 22:00 when it should be saying 15:00. Is there something special I have to do to change timezones?

And I really don't know what to do about Firefox and the profile directory. It just doen't read it for some reason... Hrm. That just gave me a thought

Most of my problems are solved, now I just need to smooth out the quirks

Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small

Beans
    Hidden!

Checked the permissions on the firefox directory? And to sync your time, install ntp, then run sudo ntpd. You can even add it to the daemons list in rc.conf if you want, so your clock will be synced when you boot.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans

that's odd about the time zone. mine changed without a problem.

are you thinking you now have two profiles in .mozilla/firefox? if not, that might be the case.

Beans

Second, my clock is off. I checked in /etc/rc.conf and TIMEZONE is set to "Canada/Pacific". I would like to see a list of Timezones that I could possibly use, so I can find mine, and set it properly.
    Cheers,
    Dr Small
    The best way I know to fix the timezone thing is to use openntpd. It's quite easy:

• Install openntpd (pacman -S openntpd)
    • Edit your /etc/rc.conf and put openntpd in your daemons array
    • Start the service (/etc/rc.d/openntpd start)

From that point on, your computer should have the correct date / time each time you restart.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, but what does ntpd or openntpd sync with to get the correct time?
    Oh, and I found out my Firefox problem, after I FTPed to the server.

I got the kind of feeling when you loose your footing on a steep cliff and a sick feeling comes to your stomach as you drop.....
    Apparently the Firefox folder never got backed up!!!

Oh well. It was apparently because of permissions on the files, so it never backed up any of my bookmarks (thousands...) extensions (and all of their settings!) passwords, etc. But oh well. It won't be the first time I have started over.

Lucky for me, that I have another password file for all of my passwords.

Dr Small

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

As for your firefox problem, I'd suggest you to look for bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak inside ~/.mozilla/firefox/your_profile_name/. I always backup these couple of files just in case (You might want to look for other profiles inside your ~/.mozilla/firefox/ directory too, who knows, maybe they're there).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ok, but what does ntpd or openntpd sync with to get the correct time?
    It syncs with a public NTP server of your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast