Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just installed ubuntu - a few issues

Beans

Re: Just installed ubuntu - a few issues

I'm not sure if these have anything to do with...anything....but here are the drivers relating to network:

1394 net adapter
    Belkin wireless G desktop Card
    Nvidea nforce networking controller

and then here's my graphics card: Geforce 6150

Beans

Yeah, that text is what we want to see. That command lists your network hardware so we know what we're working with.

First, try going to System-Administration-Network, click "Unlock" and enter your password, select Wireless Network, click Properties, uncheck the box at the top that says "Enable roaming" and fill in the information for your router if you know it (you should know it if you're the one that set up the router). You might not be able to select your network off a list but try entering it manually and see if that works.

If it doesn't... run these commands, and post the output of each here:
    Code:
    lsusb
    (you said it was a USB wireless thing right?)

Code:
    sudo iwconfig
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    These won't fix it, but they'll tell us information we need.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmub82 View Post
    Yeah, that text is what we want to see. That command lists your network hardware so we know what we're working with.

First, try going to System-Administration-Network, click "Unlock" and enter your password, select Wireless Network, click Properties, uncheck the box at the top that says "Enable roaming" and fill in the information for your router if you know it (you should know it if you're the one that set up the router). You might not be able to select your network off a list but try entering it manually and see if that works.

If it doesn't... run these commands, and post the output of each here:
    Code:
    lsusb
    (you said it was a USB wireless thing right?)

Code:
    sudo iwconfig
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig
    These won't fix it, but they'll tell us information we need.
    I don't have a USB...that was for the first computer I set it up with. This computer has a card. A belkin wireless G desktop card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rukaru View Post
    I don't have a USB...that was for the first computer I set it up with. This computer has a card. A belkin wireless G desktop card.
    Ok, skip lsusb, run the others, post what you get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Rukaru View Post
    Okay.....it asked for my password...I gave it...it showed some text..I closed it. Nothing is different. Maybe I should give up on ubuntu. There are no problems with my XP and Vista.
    I think the original poster wanted you to paste the output of that command so he can help with your problem.

Type the command again (with the "sudo" prefix), then copy and paste the output into a new post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by potatan View Post
    I think the original poster wanted you to paste the output of that command so he can help with your problem.

Type the command again (with the "sudo" prefix), then copy and paste the output into a new post.
    Okay...I will. This may take a while.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by potatan View Post

I don't know if I want to post all this information for all to see. It has a serial number.

Beans

copy the text and paste it on the forum. Some of the wireless chipsets are harder than others to get working in linux. You have to remember that it's not the operating system that is having the trouble, but that the developers of your hardware made the drivers for Windows and now Linux is having to adapt to them. If you stick it out for a bit and be patient you will become much happier with Ubuntu than Windows.

And once you get that g-card working you can start playing with compiz and emerald.. that's when you start having fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Also, that "serial number" is not something any of us here can use aside from identifying your wireless card. All it does is identify your card. It's not like a software key or anything like that.
    I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars. - Walt Whitman

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBFS View Post
    copy the text and paste it on the forum. Some of the wireless chipsets are harder than others to get working in linux. You have to remember that it's not the operating system that is having the trouble, but that the developers of your hardware made the drivers for Windows and now Linux is having to adapt to them. If you stick it out for a bit and be patient you will become much happier with Ubuntu than Windows.

And once you get that g-card working you can start playing with compiz and emerald.. that's when you start having fun.
    That's exactly what I want. I need someone to walk me through this stuff. It's so confusing and stressful. Apparently I just got the internet working by entering stuff about my network or whatever. I wasn't sure about one thing though...is gateway the same as default route? I also can't find the thing that shows connection...with the bars. I had removed it accidentally.

Now...can someone just tell me...if that nvidea_new card is not working, does that mean there is no hope without buying new hardware?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast