Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gazelle and Wireless Troubles

Beans

New Gazelle and Wireless Troubles

Hey, I just got my new gazelle in the mail today, and I must say I'm quite impressed with everything so far. My issue right now though is that my wireless is not able to connect to my network at home.

Since my router isn't in the best location in my house, I found that with WPA security enabled it kills the connection distance, so I'm using MAC filtering. First to describe what happens:

I can left-click the network manager and see my network (as well as a few others from the neighbors). I'll click my network to attempt to connect and there is just the "swirly" icon that happens for a bit, and it gives up and reverts to the wired connection that is hooked up.

Once that did not work, I did all the easy things you would think of such as restarting the router, trying with/without MAC filtering, trying with/without WPA-PSK security, and it gives me the same thing each time. I've tried doing a manual configuration and actually typing in the specific details for my network and that did not work as well. I'm new to Ubuntu and linux so I would probably have more ideas if it were on a windows machine, but I think I've exhausted everything I know how to do on my new laptop.

And one more thing that is nitpicky, the lower right hand corner of the keyboard (where the right arrow is) is curled up slightly. Nothing that affects actual use of the keyboard, just a little OCD thing I noticed. Any recommendations on how to tinker with that to bend it back?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Router is a Linksys WRT54GX4 if you're curious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: New Gazelle and Wireless Troubles

You arent set up for having 2 connections. Choose wired OR wireless, not both.

As for you curled keyboard, I'm assuming it is made of soft material. If this is the case, when the computer is turned off, put something heavy on it.

Beans

I know I'm not set up for two connections. When I click network manager I see the "wired" option and then about 4 different wireless networks to choose from. Wired will be selected initially, but then I select my wireless network to attempt to connect to it. It won't, and it'll fall back on the ethernet LAN connection because that works.

Maybe because I'm unfamiliar with ubuntu, but I wouldn't think having an ethernet connection hooked up would affect my wireless capabilities.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try disconnecting your ethernet cable and then connecting to wireless. Does that work?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Nope, I've tried that already as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I realize you said you see wireless access points, but just confirm that your wireless switch is toggled to the right. (Yes, I know it is.

Providing you're not too far away from your router, this thread...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=mac+address
    ...sounds similar to your issue. This person fixed it by disabling/re-enabling networing.

Have a look at that thread, and see if anything on it works for you.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

So I looked through that other thread, and my log looks like the same exact problem as TomL, but I don't know if I'm missing something but I can't really see what he did to fix it...

I looked at the link that you posted that documented the bug where Hardy was having issues with unencrypted networks, so I tried WPA encryption with network manager and then also manually putting in the info (disabling roaming mode). It looks like it gets farther along, but then browsing in firefox still does not work. I also tried disabling/enabling networking like you mentioned and that did not change anything. I'm not sure what else I should try after looking through the posts you've forwarded me to.

Thanks for the help so far, I hope we can solve this.

And yeah, my wireless switch is to the right
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Beridel; May 9th, 2008 at 04:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks. I hate to ask people about the wireless switch. Occupational hazard.

So, that guy fixed it by right clicking on his networking icon in the upper right of his LCD and *disabling* networking and then *re-enabling* networking.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

I've tried that and it doesn't seem to change anything. Still the same timing out issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Please post the output of:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

That daemon.log is interesting. Are you trying to connect to the Internet wirelessly via System > Administration > Networking?

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast