Thread: Linux error, dont know much

Beans

Linux error, dont know much

i just got the new linux and i cant see any video on the web or streaming video. and when i try to install any updates this pops up.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Linux error, dont know much

go to Applications->Accessories->Terminal and type

sudo dpkg --configure -a

it'll ask for your password enter it, and this should fix your update problem
    Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6t-3100 CTO, Intel i5 2.5 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, 500 GB HDD.
    Desktop: Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB, D-Link DWA-510 wireless card, 80 GB HDD.

Beans

sweet thanks, its workin now. i dont know anything about computers really. will that fix my streaming video too?

Beans
    Distro

No, for the videos you have to install the codecs.Go to System->Administration->Synaptic package manager , click on the reload button when it finishes click on search and look for ubuntu-restricted-extras and install it, i think that should do for the videos.
    Last edited by divague; May 9th, 2008 at 03:08 AM.
    Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6t-3100 CTO, Intel i5 2.5 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, 500 GB HDD.
    Desktop: Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB, D-Link DWA-510 wireless card, 80 GB HDD.

Beans

huh, i did all that and still no video. on youtube it says i either turned javascript off or dont have the latest flash player. any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

try restarting your browser