Thread: media player closes

Beans

media player closes

when i try to play a movie on either player totem or vlc the movie is there and all is good till i try to enlarge the screen or full screen it the entire window closes on me,i dont know why??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: media player closes

Start these applications from a terminal (<alt>+F2 and type gnome-terminal.
    In the terminal type the application name ex. "totem"). Then try enlarging the screen and since it crashes post the output of the console here to see what is going on.
    8.10 on HDX16-1050ev
    My Ubuntu Blog

Beans

i dont know what you mean? how do i start the app. from the terminal ,do i type alt f2 in the terminal? could you explain a little easier for a noob? i know how to get the terminal open i tryed hitting alt F2 and nothing happened.

Beans

how do i know what my gnome terminal is?

Beans

well i tryed a few things and something came upit said bash command not found due to
    unexpected token

Beans

this is the error message i get when it starts the search for codecs..

siddhartha@siddhartha-desktop:~$ totem
    ** Message: don't know how to handle video/x-xvid, framerate=(fraction)25/1, width=(int)480, height=(int)368
    ** Message: don't know how to handle audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)1, layer=(int)3, rate=(int)48000, channels=(int)2, codec_data=(buffer)0100000000004f0101000000
    ** Message: Error: You do not have a decoder installed to handle this file. You might need to install the necessary plugins.
    gstplaybasebin.c(2284): prepare_output (): /play

** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder|decoder-audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)1, layer=(int)3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder)
    ** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|XVID MPEG-4 decoder|decoder-video/x-xvid (XVID MPEG-4 decoder)

** (gnome-codec-install:6088 ): WARNING **: return value of custom widget handler was not a GtkWidget
    ** Message: Missing plugin installation failed: installer-exit-unclean
    Last edited by sidney_jec; June 10th, 2008 at 03:42 PM.