Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post one interesting thing about your city/town.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Post one interesting thing about your city/town.

I've got an idea for a.. well.. not really a game, but a fun conversation. It's always interesting for me to read about different parts of the world that I haven't been, and what it's like to live there, whether I'm reading what people personally have to say or just wikipedia articles.

It'd be fun if we all post a little about the city or town we are from.. any interesting facts or famous people from there. And if you can't find anything about your town.. pick one in your county! Or just don't play!

I'll go first: I'm from Coos Bay, Oregon. It's a small town on the coast famous for far too many meth addicts and one great runner Steve Prefontaine who went to the olympics. The town is still pretty into claiming him as being a "coos banian" but where I live now, Eugene, is nicknamed Track Town partly because of him.

And well, there was The New Carissa boat that got stuck in some sand right off coast.. we made national headlines then back when I was in middle school. They burned the boat and all of the oil on it, our parents had to pick us up from school or we took a bus, nobody was allowed to walk because of all the toxic smoke in the area (my school was right by the bay, total tsunami target).
    cigarettes and chocolate milk

Beans

Re: Post one interesting thing about your city/town.

Early in the 20th century, my hometown had the largest sheet steel mill in the world. It was originally made for the firm to have better control over their workers so they would be more productive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

my town has the largest botanic garden in south-eastern europe (a nice thing to have during the hot summer - besides a cold beer ^^)
    Those who beg for mercy are cowards. Give mercy to those who beg for the sword.
    YouTube channel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I live in the largest city named Lancaster in the US.
    You people have been led to believe that mediocrity is excellence. Uh-Uh! Ubuntu is excellence.

Beans
    Hidden!

My city is, apparently, the teenage pregnancy capital of Europe...
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans

My town's library was the first U.S. public library to close down since 1989.
    But the situation is better now and we even have some Ubuntu books.
    The former asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
    UbuntuForums member #98464 | Ubuntu Help & Support
    Never run any command unless you understand exactly what it will do. [link]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Fountain Hills, Arizona. Home of the 562 foot fountain (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_Hills%2C_Arizona)

On St. Patrick's Day, they turn the fountain green (as seen from the upper deck of the pool area where I live: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2209019...50252/sizes/l/)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Springfield, Vermont:

This is where a premiere of The Simpsons movie was at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

To quote from the BBC Kent website, Gravesend (which Northfleet is part of) is ....
    Famed for its links with Pocohontas, who is said to be buried in St George's Church, Gravesend has a wealth of history.

The North American Indian princess died there aged only 22, after being duped and betrayed. She was suffering from either the Plague tuberculosis.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/places/tow...nd/index.shtml

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Home:
    Largest Hindu temple in US, I think the world. Oops, my bad
    From wikipedia
    Notable features

On August 8, 2004, the BAPS organization, a sect of Hinduism, opened BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Chicago, a large 22,442-square-foot (2,084.9 m²) temple, or mandir, on Illinois Route 59, just south of U.S. Route 20. Covering thirty acres, it is largest traditional Hindu mandir, of stone and marble, to be constructed in the United States. The mandir took 16 months to build and was constructed with Turkish limestone, Italian marble, and Indian makrana marble. The adjoining cultural center, known as the Haveli, was opened in October 2000. The large complex contains large rooms with intricately carved walls of stone and wood. It attracts many visitors of all faiths.[1]

* Bartlett has retained its original railroad station, built in 1873.
    * Bartlett claims to have the largest Little League program in the United States, managed under one board with over 1500 participants.[2]
    * Bartlett's arts council, Arts in Bartlett, presents the village's only juried fine arts fair each year on the last weekend in July. [3]
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    School:
    Home of ACT testing
    Ashton Kutcher went to school here(great)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast