Thread: convert ape with cue to multiple ogg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Question convert ape with cue to multiple ogg

I was wondering what the simplest way to convert a single ape file with a cue file into multiple ogg files is. I can play it in mplayer, but I'd like to add it to my Rhythembox library..

Beans

Re: convert ape with cue to multiple ogg

I would start by converting your Monkey's Audio file to a format that is more widely supported, like FLAC. I use the shntool package (available through the ubuntu repositories) for this. For Monkey's Audio support, shntool requires the mac program to be in my path. I had to build mac manually from the source code on this page. (Look for a tarball called something like "mac-*.tar.gz")
    Last edited by foresto; May 11th, 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Beans

i wouldn't convert it to ogg as you will lose quality. with the lossless ape format it keeps the original source quality.
    you could convert it to flac (another more widely used lossless format) & not lose any quality, like foresto said.
    unfortunately, i don't know of any programs that can do this. i'm sure there are some that can, but i just don't know of them as i usually burn these types of files (audio+cue) to disc right away.

i used to use cdwave editor on windows to do what you want to do though...
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I followed this guide successfully when I converted all my ape collection to flac:

http://aidanjm.wordpress.com/2007/02...lac-in-ubuntu/

Flac would be the better choice in the long run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I suppose I'll keep it as a flac for a while. I'll likely end up wanting to compress it further, as I'll likely end up with flacs eating up space, but for now, I have plenty of extra space.

Is there any way to split the flac into individual song files (as per the cue file)? I've used another method to do this with an ogg file (heh, it appears my original problem is solved), but I am digging the fidelity of the flac.

Beans

technically speaking, flac is better, basically cuz it has wider support across software & hardware.
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4