Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Will undervolting affect the performance of the laptopz/ It seems to me that if it is using less power, it will be less powerful.

Also, I was wondering if my battery might not be fully enabled. I have an extra battery pack and in Vista I was able to get 10 hours, with Ubuntu, I get about 4.5 hours and I am assuming that Vista uses more power than Ubuntu.
    ~ Sanity is the sign of an unused mind.
    ~ I poked a badger with a spoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by M4rotku View Post
    Will undervolting affect the performance of the laptopz/ It seems to me that if it is using less power, it will be less powerful.
    Performance will be the same. The power you saved was just wasted before, did nothing good.

Also, I was wondering if my battery might not be fully enabled. I have an extra battery pack and in Vista I was able to get 10 hours, with Ubuntu, I get about 4.5 hours and I am assuming that Vista uses more power than Ubuntu.
    Is the second battery shown, i.e. in the tray icon or in /proc/acpi/battery?

Win might be a little better in powersaving, but still the difference you post is huge!

Quote Originally Posted by w4ngsta07 View Post
    Is it possible for you to also make a HOW-TO for compiling the linux phc in case our kernels get updated?
    It is not that simple to do and I can't really make a generic how-to for that as I don't know if extra workarounds will be needed. Second, for the new kernel there might be the need of a new patch form the PHC guys.
    In the link I gave right at the top there is a german how-to for .16.

In case of a kernel change just try your old .17 module again. If that doesn't work give me a PM and I'll look into it and make a new module.
    HowTo: Ask Questions the smart way | keep on rockin'...

GEEK CODE Version: 3.1: GJ/MD d s a- C++ ULS++ P L+++ E---- W++ N* ?o K- w--- ?O M-- V-- PS+>$ PE++>$ Y+ PGP++ t-- 5- X R tv b+ ?DI D+ G++ e+++ h-- r++ y+

Beans

Is the VID read from the script or from the chip? I have a T8300 in my T61, and the script bugged out on me, because even when both cores were fully loaded, the script reached 0 on the highest clock level without a crash.

Also, there are two problems (typos) with the guide. One is when you point to the original acpi-cpufreq.ko, you have two kernel/ directories. The second one is when you talk about loading the second core; the command burnmmx does nothing, but burnMMX works. Other than that, extremely helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Can you provide some hard numbers on what the power savings is like before and after on your machine. Something like cleanly booting the machine, logging in, unplugging the AC power, waiting for a few minutes and then running powertop like this (don't touch the machine for 5 minutes after this):

Code:
    sudo powertop -d -t 300
    Having the average watts used during a 5 minute powertop run on an idle system would be an interesting baseline. I'm interested in trying this out but only if there is a noticeable drop in power usage.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I was in step 2.b.1 and I recieved the following error when i entered the command.

command:
    Code:
    sudo cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko.old
    Error:
    Code:
    cp: cannot stat `/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko': No such file or directory
    If this file doesn't exist, then can I still undervolt? And how would I go about doing so if able.
    ~ Sanity is the sign of an unused mind.
    ~ I poked a badger with a spoon!

Beans
    Distro

I was in step 2.b.1 and I recieved the following error when i entered the command.

command:
    Code:
    sudo cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko.old
    Error:
    Code:
    cp: cannot stat `/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko': No such file or directory
    If this file doesn't exist, then can I still undervolt? And how would I go about doing so if able.
    Seems as if you're not using acpi-cpufreq. Then you can't use this how-to. What did step 1 give you?
    Code:
    lsmod | grep acpi_cpufreq

GEEK CODE Version: 3.1: GJ/MD d s a- C++ ULS++ P L+++ E---- W++ N* ?o K- w--- ?O M-- V-- PS+>$ PE++>$ Y+ PGP++ t-- 5- X R tv b+ ?DI D+ G++ e+++ h-- r++ y+

Beans

hi all

my system uses the speedstep.centrino module.. is there a way to force it to use the acpi freq module?

i have a pentium-m 740 (1.73mhz)

thnks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Thanks for the help with my cpu--it works like a charm and doesn't overheat anymore! Would you know anything about undervolting the graphics card? It gets fairly hot, too.

At any rate, thanks for the incredible help.

Beans

command:
    Code:
    Error:
    Code:
    There is a typo in the command on first post tutorial: kernel/ is there twice, whereas the path has only one folder named kernel above arch/!

BTW Thanks a lot for this really interesting tutorial!
    Nobody was born with linux knowledge!
    Here's my experience with Ubuntu linux on laptops: http://linux.aldeby.org

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Quote Originally Posted by aldeby View Post
    There is a typo in the command on first post tutorial: kernel/ is there twice, whereas the path has only one folder named kernel above arch/!

BTW Thanks a lot for this really interesting tutorial!
    Thanks for pointing out, I corrected the how-to.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast