Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Quote Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
    oh, where did you find that? i have the exact same problem and would love to see if my vids kick at a lower limit too
    I used phctool. You can get it from here: http://phc.athousandnights.de/files
    The tool has a Analysis tab as you can see in the screenshot.
    To get this to work, you first need to
    Code:
    sudo modprobe msr
    After this, let the script run and keep refreshing the analysis tab.
    For me, the target vids kept decresing, but the reached vid was stuck at 19... indicating that it was the lower limit for my CPU.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aashay View Post
    I used phctool. You can get it from here: http://phc.athousandnights.de/files
    The tool has a Analysis tab as you can see in the screenshot.
    To get this to work, you first need to
    Code:
    sudo modprobe msr
    After this, let the script run and keep refreshing the analysis tab.
    For me, the target vids kept decresing, but the reached vid was stuck at 19... indicating that it was the lower limit for my CPU.
    thanks a lot. i was half way through, already had installed phctools, just didnt know what to do with it

i found mi lowest vid is 21, so i just set it to that. and thats it?

how odd to have the setting when every perceived frequency works on the lowest of settings.

anyway, thanks, gonna testdrive my battery now... hope it does something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This guide is great! I managed to get my C2D 7500T down to 12:31 11:22 8:15 6:15 136:15 though I have not worked much on the 12:31 setting. (15 is the lowest) I have not checked battery life but it is running much cooler.

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    2.6.24-19 just got released...
    I'd really like to know if the HOW-TO is compatible with the updated kernel--my Motion LE1700 always gets hot, so I constantly have to use a laptop fan (it's Intel Core 2 Duo). So I hope the answer is a yes!

And my computer has a 64-bit processor...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by sarah.fauzia View Post
    I'd really like to know if the HOW-TO is compatible with the updated kernel--my Motion LE1700 always gets hot, so I constantly have to use a laptop fan (it's Intel Core 2 Duo). So I hope the answer is a yes!

And my computer has a 64-bit processor...
    It will work with any kernel if you compile the module yourself (see instructions in this post ). But there is a precompiled module for 2.6.24-19 in the first post (it's only 32 bit, which may or may not work with a 64 bit kernel. I know the module for 32 bit 2.6.24-18 worked fine with my 64 bit kernel...)
    The script from this howto does not always work (for me it just works on full processor frequency and fails to keep the processor at any lower frequency, so the script thinks it can go all the way down to zero when in fact the lowest working setting is 19... ).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shae View Post
    This guide is great! I managed to get my C2D 7500T down to 12:31 11:22 8:15 6:15 136:15 though I have not worked much on the 12:31 setting. (15 is the lowest) I have not checked battery life but it is running much cooler.
    battery life didnt change one bit.

i seriously believe there is something really incompatible with this notebook. thanks god i dont rely that much on the battery..

Beans
    Hidden!

Okay, I was able to run the module, and all the scripts for that matter...I just want to make sure I interpreted what to echo correctly.

This is what I got from running the last step:

Code:
    Default VIDs: 22 21 20 19 
    Current VIDs: 0 21 20 19
    Testing VID: 0 (700 mV)
    Default VIDs: 22 21 20 19 
    Current VIDs: -1 21 20 19
    Testing VID: -1 (684 mV)
    ./linux-phc-optimize.bash: line 161: printf: -1: invalid option
    printf: usage: printf [-v var] format [arguments]

The lowest acceptable VID is 0.
    When I open the phc_controls I get (I mistakenly thought I had to reboot after this step, so after rebooting):

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls
    9:1 8:21 7:20 6:19
    Unless I'm mistaken, it changed on its own, without me having to "echo" it. But I still added, as the steps said:

Code:
    echo "9:1 8:21 7:20 6:19" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls
    to /etc/rc.local

Did I do everything correctly? I just want to make sure--again, I really hope this helps! My computer didn't freeze at all during this risky procedure, thankfully.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ah! I was able to see how the script worked--because I hadn't changed <i>both</i> cores yet:

Code:
    sara@sara-tablet:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/phc_controls
    9:22 8:21 7:20 6:19 
    sara@sara-tablet:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls
    So it worked! (Correct me if I'm mistaken)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by sarah.fauzia View Post
    Ah! I was able to see how the script worked--because I hadn't changed <i>both</i> cores yet:

Code:
    sara@sara-tablet:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/phc_controls
    9:22 8:21 7:20 6:19 
    sara@sara-tablet:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls
    So it worked! (Correct me if I'm mistaken)
    I don't think that you allowed the script to finish. It first test the highest cpu frequency until it freezes, then after reboot you have to run the script again to test the next cpu frequency. As you see you still have the original vid's on the 8x, 7x and 6x multipliers.
    Also I don't think your processor really ran at full speed during those tests, as the script was able to run all the way to zero. For me the original vid for the highest multiplier was 42 and I managed to lower it to 19 (which causes my computer to freeze, so I set it at 21 to keep it stable). On the lower multipliers the script ran all the way down to zero, but I could clearly see that after the script had set the cpu frequency, my system regained control and re-set the frequency governor back to "ondemand". So the script ran only some kind of simulation.
    When I tested what vid's I can use I noticed that even if I set the vid's for the lower multipliers in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/phc_controls to zero, the actual value never gets lower than 19 (probably a limit in the bios or cpu itself).

Have you tried really stressing your cpu with those settings, making sure it runs att maximum usage at the higest speed on both cores?
    If it really runs stable with those settings, I'm pretty sure you can set the vid's for the other multipliers to 1 as well, as it makes no sense to use higher voltage on the 8x, 7x and 6x multipliers than you use on 9x.
    Oh, and to get both cores to use the settings, you need to echo the values to both cores.
    Last edited by jocko; June 23rd, 2008 at 07:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I don't think that you allowed the script to finish. It first test the highest cpu frequency until it freezes, then after reboot you have to run the script again to test the next cpu frequency. As you see you still have the original vid's on the 8x, 7x and 6x multipliers.
    Also I don't think your processor really ran at full speed during those tests, as the script was able to run all the way to zero. For me the original vid for the highest multiplier was 42 and I managed to lower it to 19 (which causes my computer to freeze, so I set it at 21 to keep it stable). On the lower multipliers the script ran all the way down to zero, but I could clearly see that after the script had set the cpu frequency, my system regained control and re-set the frequency governor back to "ondemand". So the script ran only some kind of simulation.
    When I tested what vid's I can use I noticed that even if I set the vid's for the lower multipliers in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/phc_controls to zero, the actual value never gets lower than 19 (probably a limit in the bios or cpu itself).

Have you tried really stressing your cpu with those settings, making sure it runs att maximum usage at the higest speed on both cores?
    If it really runs stable with those settings, I'm pretty sure you can set the vid's for the other multipliers to 1 as well, as it makes no sense to use higher voltage on the 8x, 7x and 6x multipliers than you use on 9x.
    Oh, and to get both cores to use the settings, you need to echo the values to both cores.
    Hmmm. I ran the script three times (restarting after each time), the second and third time making sure to stress the second core as well by running burnMMX simultaneously (and it did say "Terminated" when the first script finished). I can't think of anything I did wrong...could it possibly be that my computer is very good, and can handle the lower voltage? I would truly hope so!

I'll set the other ones down to 1, and see how that goes. And my computer didn't freeze at all while the script was running... It was only after the initial INSTALL of the script that my computer checked my drives, after I had rebooted (that's the step for or after step four, from the guide you linked me to?).

The reason I didn't change the voltages for the other multipliers was because I thought Current VIDs would show me what exact values to use--did everyone else also assume to change all the lower multipliers to the same value? I'm quite new to this, so forgive me! I would just really, really like to have a more temperate computer (and perhaps learn more how it works, too).

Thank you for the help!
    Last edited by sarah.fauzia; June 23rd, 2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Had used html tags for italicizing "temperate" instead of BBCODE

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast