Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu.. we totally make children cry!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: Ubuntu.. we totally make children cry!

I have been using computers since I was two. Note that I was using MS-DOS v1.1 at the time. Back then, the games were Quick Castle, and some other space game that I forgot the name of (I loved that game... ). I got the hang of it and I erased my sister's password too (when I was only 2) . I got used to the design of Windows NT when I was 6, and I started learning HTML when I was 12. I made a fully working computer when I was 13, but my mom threw it out when I was testing it (She thought it was a safety precaution and I was too little). Now I'm 14 and I know the whole language of HTML, but I'm also learning JavaScript, and I'm soon to go to the big leagues with Python, C, MySQL, Perl, and PHP (No, Microsoft fanboys, I'm not touching anything that starts with Visual ). Guess what I use for development now? Kubuntu! I might give my little niece Edubuntu for Christmas.
    Last edited by Sirin; October 20th, 2005 at 01:07 AM.
    I know you...

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Ubuntu.. we totally make children cry!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirin
    (No, Microsoft fanboys, I'm not touching anything that starts with Visual ). Guess what I use for development now? Kubuntu!

I might give my little niece Edubuntu for Christmas.
    Can we tempt you with C# ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

lol, thats funny, really funny

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    This story sounds like my two kids--I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old and they have my old computer running a fresh installation of Edubuntu.

Just felt old...I got my first computer in 1981 at the age of 11. I was the only person in the house who learned how to use it, even though it was supposed to be for the whole family.
    I read every book in the school library on BASIC programming. I wrote a couple of programs on scrap peices of paper and waited for months for my mom to bring home a Commodore64. We were so excited. We were going to open the box the next day and may dad just kept shaking his head.

"But I don't understand! A computer is useless unless you *program* it. I'm afraid you boys are going to be dissapointed tomorrow!"

He just couldn't understand the fun involved. We were *not* dissapointed.

...And we have to set a timer (there is a gnome applet) to be able to close TuxPaint on my three-year-old....
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    I read every book in the school library on BASIC programming. I wrote a couple of programs on scrap peices of paper and waited for months for my mom to bring home a Commodore64.
    I never had a C64. But I do remember sitting in front of an Atari ST on occasion, typing in 5 pages of _nothing_ but machine code from a Computer Magazine. All numbers. There's not much you can do to debug it either. Hell, even Assembly looked like a high level bash script compared to this...

It was only in next month's magazine issue you found out why you had problems, "Our editors would like to apologize, but in last week's issue on page 3, line 1275, there was a typo. It should be 101,64,121,... not 101,64, 221,..."

I rank those programming experiences right up there with waiting hours on end at a doctor's office, eventually to be followed with a cold jellied probe from his glove...

\\//_

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by skoal
    I never had a C64. But I do remember sitting in front of an Atari ST on occasion, typing in 5 pages of _nothing_ but machine code from a Computer Magazine. All numbers. There's not much you can do to debug it either. Hell, even Assembly looked like a high level bash script compared to this...
    I remember doing the same thing...only I had a TRS-80 Color Computer.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I got my first computer when I was 4, it was a LeoJet... I belive, running Windows 3.1, I normaly used it to play around. Then when I got 12 I wanted to start programmaming and got a 233 Ghz 32 mb Ram something something running windows 95, about a year after I got and assembled a brand new computer that at first ran Win XP but I quite soon moved on to Mandriva Linux, and Linux is where I stayed.

(Luckily I overheard the word Linux while walking with some classmates and was soon into it, if I hand't I wouldnt know what it is, and bless whoever took the first ever screenshot of Linux that I was, I was completely hocked after that, I cant identify the DE though... and I cant find the image anymore)
    Last edited by Kimm; October 19th, 2005 at 04:31 PM.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    I remember doing the same thing...only I had a TRS-80 Color Computer.
    I think I lied earlier. It was actually an older Atari 400 I think - the one with the flat plastik keyboard where you could lick your spilt soda off of. By the time the ST came out, those magazines provided that code already on 5-1/4 floppy I think.

I always used to dream of owning a TRS-80 too. It was the rolls royce of mall computers back then. It was always front and center on display at Radio Shack. Sweet box...

\\//_

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by skoal
    I think I lied earlier. It was actually an older Atari 400 I think - the one with the flat plastik keyboard where you could lick your spilt soda off of. By the time the ST came out, those magazines provided that code already on 5-1/4 floppy I think.

I always used to dream of owning a TRS-80 too. It was the rolls royce of mall computers back then. It was always front and center on display at Radio Shack. Sweet box...

\\//_
    I started with a whopping 4K of ram and a cassette player/recorder to store programs on. 7 to 10 minutes to load "Eliza." I celebrated when I had saved up the money to get a ram upgrade to 32K and buy a 5 1/4" floppy (180K/disk!! I thought I would never need to buy more than one or two disks). Most games back then came on cartridges so I could have either a game plugged in or my floppy drive, but never both...until someone figured out how to copy the games from cartridges to disks and I benefitted.

Aahh. Good times.

EDIT: I just had a funny memory. My first printer was a dot matrix that only had 7 pins (from the factory) instead of the soon-to-be-standard 9 pins. As a result I had no true-descending characters in my printing. i.e. letters like g, y, p and so on would be shifted up so the the part that is usually below the line of text would be higher and the "bubble" parts of the letters would be way up as if they were capital P's and so on.

Okay, we are way off topic now...I'm done. Back to children crying because their Ubuntu time is limited.
    Last edited by matthew; October 19th, 2005 at 06:50 PM.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

does any one remember pango and jump joe 2 - those were the dos games I grew up on.

8088 microprocessor by "columbia" "98% IBM compatible"
    dual 5 & 1/4 " floppies so we could boot to DOS 3.2 and use the B: drive for games. No floppy switching here.

damn that was along time ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast