Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: super slow poor performance after 8.04 upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

super slow poor performance after 8.04 upgrade

Ever since i upgraded to 8.04 my computer is so slow its driving me crazy. I used this guide to get direct rendering working
    http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/...d.php?t=246746
    I'm using a dell c610 with 256mb ram. The graphics don't seem slow until i start running apps. When i first boot up its decent but when i open any apps it gets so slow and the compiz graphics get choppy. I use qemu and i noticed when i try to sudo umount /dev/shm it says umount: /dev/shm: device is busy so i think this is tied to my problems in general. I don't know what logs to post or anything so please let me know where to start. I also tried without compiz running and it doesn't make a difference.
    Last edited by ethos_dacapo; May 8th, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

Beans

Re: super slow poor performance after 8.04 upgrade

I would not want to run Ubuntu on even twice that amount of ram, it should be slow. It is not surprising that it is slow. Perhaps disabled needed services and start up items but I really think base install would be good for that pc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I would not want to run Ubuntu on even twice that amount of ram, it should be slow. It is not surprising that it is slow. Perhaps disabled needed services and start up items but I really think base install would be good for that pc.
    Yeah i know what you're saying but it was running fine with 7.10 i could have multiple apps running and even spin the cube without any problems.

Beans

You could use compiz because of your gpu, otherwise if performance is lowered, anything under 400mb might struggle at times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    You could use compiz because of your gpu, otherwise if performance is lowered, anything under 400mb might struggle at times.
    I've installed Hardy on a machine running an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 256 MB RAM, ATI Radeon and it runs great. Just as fast as it runs Windows, maybe faster.
    I'd look at your graphics card, hard drive, or do a clean install.
    Last edited by Em-Buntu; May 8th, 2008 at 06:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

exactly! but a clean install is out of the question i just need to figure out whats slowing me up. I still need help ya'll!

Quote Originally Posted by Em-Buntu View Post
    I've installed Hardy on a machine running an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 256 MB RAM, ATI Radeon and it runs great. Just as fast as it runs Windows, maybe faster.
    I'd look at your graphics card, hard drive, or do a clean install.

Beans

Same thing happened to me. I can't believe Ubuntu dist upgrades are still such a painful experience. First, the update decided my carefully crafted xorg.conf was rubbish and replaced it with a new one. After reboot, I was greeted with economical 640x480 resolution, mis-recognized gfx card and monitor. After I fixed that, the desktop was so slow it was literally unusable. Disabling visual effects which worked fine in 7.10 helped a little, but not nearly enough. I fired up the System Monitor and 5 min later I could see something called Xgl hogging most of the CPU. To make a long story short
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xgl
    and a restart later fixed it for me.

On another note... I also removed something called "tracker". Apparently it's some indexing daemon that I'm sure I'll never use. For goodness sake - I love linux in part for the lack of a ton of background services that I don't need. When did Ubuntu start looking up to Windows? At least a dialog asking "Hey, we've got this exciting new feature for you, it takes up a little CPU but ... Do you want it?" would be nice.

Nite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok, now we're getting somewhere. lol
    I also had the xgl installed previously and read on another thread to remove it, that at least got my direct rendering back but its still been way too slow. I disabled the tracker but i'm gonna remove it as well. Also, when the upgrade asked me to overwrite the xorg file i told it to get bent it took me way too long to get that thing configured right. Since then i have tried different tweaks but nothing has helped really. I remember somebody on a thread saying that everything was loading like webpage graphics but i can't find it now and thats kinda like what mine is doing. I installed 28 updates just a few minutes ago too but that hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by niterayn View Post
    Same thing happened to me. I can't believe Ubuntu dist upgrades are still such a painful experience. First, the update decided my carefully crafted xorg.conf was rubbish and replaced it with a new one. After reboot, I was greeted with economical 640x480 resolution, mis-recognized gfx card and monitor. After I fixed that, the desktop was so slow it was literally unusable. Disabling visual effects which worked fine in 7.10 helped a little, but not nearly enough. I fired up the System Monitor and 5 min later I could see something called Xgl hogging most of the CPU. To make a long story short
    sudo apt-get remove xserver-xgl
    and a restart later fixed it for me.

On another note... I also removed something called "tracker". Apparently it's some indexing daemon that I'm sure I'll never use. For goodness sake - I love linux in part for the lack of a ton of background services that I don't need. When did Ubuntu start looking up to Windows? At least a dialog asking "Hey, we've got this exciting new feature for you, it takes up a little CPU but ... Do you want it?" would be nice.

Nite

Beans

Have you tried watching CPU utilization with "System Monitor" or "top" ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah that was one of the first things i did...

I went in and reconfigured my xorg file the other day and that helped with some of the issues but not with the cpu issues. For example, sometimes when i close the lid on my laptop the screen doesn't wanna wake up, i have to suspend the computer to get the screen back and then my wifi is down. Also, things will just lock up at random like synergy and as i stated before i can't umount /dev/shm it says device busy so i can't properly run kqemu...
    in the future i don't think i'm gonna be so quick to update my distribution if its gonna be this buggy afterwards. i've read many a horror story with this in the plot line lol

Quote Originally Posted by niterayn View Post
    Have you tried watching CPU utilization with "System Monitor" or "top" ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast