Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

After compiling and installing ffmpeg, it tries to use wrong libavcodec

Code:
    moo@rousku:~/ffmpeg$ ./ffmpeg
    ./ffmpeg: symbol lookup error: ./ffmpeg: undefined symbol: av_tree_node_size
    moo@rousku:~/ffmpeg$ sudo ldconfig
    moo@rousku:~/ffmpeg$ ldd ffmpeg
    	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7f70000)
    	libpostproc.so.51 => /usr/lib/libpostproc.so.51 (0xb7f52000)
    	libavutil.so.49 => /usr/lib/libavutil.so.49 (0xb7f48000)
    	libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7f32000)
    	libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7f0d000)
    	libfaac.so.0 => /usr/lib/libfaac.so.0 (0xb7efc000)
    	libfaad.so.0 => /usr/lib/libfaad.so.0 (0xb7ebe000)
    	libmp3lame.so.0 => /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.0 (0xb7e29000)
    	libtheora.so.0 => /usr/lib/libtheora.so.0 (0xb7de2000)
    	libvorbisenc.so.2 => /usr/lib/libvorbisenc.so.2 (0xb7ce8000)
    	libvorbis.so.0 => /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0 (0xb7cc0000)
    	libx264.so.57 => /usr/lib/libx264.so.57 (0xb7c35000)
    	libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c31000)
    	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7c19000)
    	libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7aca000)
    	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f71000)
    	libogg.so.0 => /usr/lib/libogg.so.0 (0xb7ac4000)
    	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb79dd000)
    	libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0xb79db000)
    	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb79c3000)
    	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb79c0000)
    	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb79ba000)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

Quote Originally Posted by mikko.ohtamaa View Post
    After compiling and installing ffmpeg, it tries to use wrong libavcodec

Code:
    moo@rousku:~/ffmpeg$ ./ffmpeg
    ./ffmpeg: symbol lookup error: ./ffmpeg: undefined symbol: av_tree_node_size
    I am also getting
    Code:
    Seems stream 1 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 1000.00 (1000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
    Input #0, asf, from 'WiredPussy - 2008-02-07 - Isis Love , Annie Cruz , Amber Rayne (5057).wmv':
      Duration: 01:00:32.34, start: 3.000000, bitrate: 943 kb/s
        Stream #0.0: Audio: wmav2, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 64 kb/s
        Stream #0.1: Video: wmv3, yuv420p, 960x540, 856 kb/s, 29.97 tb(r)
    Output #0, mp4, to 'test.mp4':
        Stream #0.0: Video: libx264, yuv420p, 256x144, q=16-51, 300 kb/s, 29.97 tb(c)
        Stream #0.1: Audio: libfaac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 96 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
      Stream #0.0 -> #0.1
    [libx264 @ 0x889da40]no ratecontrol method specified
    Let's see if this helps
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove libx264-dev # Make sure we don't have old x264 lying around
    make clean
    make
    sudo checkinstall
    Yay... it's encoding!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

Ok, got it working finally.

I created this little script to mass convert video files suitable for mobile viewing (Nokia N-Series):

http://blog.redinnovation.com/2008/0...lone-playback/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

Hello! This is my adventure on Ubuntu 8.04:

1.- I uninstalled ffmpeg and x264 from synaptic. It also removed many programs that were dependencies (SMPlayer, mplayer, vlc, some gstreamer stuff etc) I took note of it and I did remove all.

2.- I followed this guide to update yasm, x264 and ffmpeg. Then I downloaded Avidemux from the autor's website http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ and installed it.

3.- I did various encodings from AVI files to mp4 for a PSP, for IPOD and a Blackberry and they all work great! Even with subtitles, I just needed to search for a proper TTF font on the subtitles settings. (/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/FreeSans.ttf works at 14 pts.

I later installed some stuff I wanted like SMPlayer and I'll wait more for vlc, SMPlayer is lighter and works great too (is a nicer gui to mplayer) Something I like of it it resumes the movie were you left after closing it.

But still, on the automatic updates keeps asking me to "downgrade" to the crippled versions of fmpeg and x264, the ones that CANNOT encode to PSP or IPOD because legal stuff I believe. I did try the "sudo aptitude hold ffmpeg x264" but it didn't work. So is just annoying to have it on red telling me all the time I need to "downgrade".

Has anyone else found a fix for this? I gloogled about it without any luck so far.

Anyway I just registered today to tell you thank you! My Avidemux works now

EDIT: I got it working, read my next post.
    Last edited by piratec; September 29th, 2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Read my next post.

Beans

SMPlayer sounds interesting. Do you usually use aptitude, apt, or Synaptic? Each has it's own way of "locking" a program version and they don't always listen to each other, so if you lock something in aptitude it still might want to upgrade in apt and Synaptic. Although Synaptic and apt should work well together I think.

I can't test my Ubuntu install on locking packages because the VirtualBox package on Arch Linux is broken right now. Curses! I believe in Synaptic you choose the package, then "Package -> Lock Package". For apt, I suppose you could use apt pin, but shouldn't there be an easier way?

Beans

This is a great tutorial! I was wondering after installing yasm, x264 and ffmpeg, what is the preferred method of re-installing mplayer? When I try to compile and install from source I get the error found on post #96 (I haven't tried the patch yet, I'll have to try it when I get home). Is there any way to tell mplayer to use the libraries that ffmpeg installed instead of installing them again?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbl016 View Post
    This is a great tutorial! I was wondering after installing yasm, x264 and ffmpeg, what is the preferred method of re-installing mplayer? When I try to compile and install from source I get the error found on post #96 (I haven't tried the patch yet, I'll have to try it when I get home). Is there any way to tell mplayer to use the libraries that ffmpeg installed instead of installing them again?

I understand what you are talking about, I ran into a similar problem. I believe the issue is that x264 needs to be installed in /usr rather than /usr/local. Do a "make uninstall" on x264, ffmpeg, and mplayer/mencoder. Then try compiling/installing with the following config lines (assmuing you have all the correct dev libs for the codecs):

Code:
    x264 config line

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-pthread --enable-mp4-output --enable-shared --enable-gtk
    Code:
    ffmpeg config line

./configure --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --disable-debug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-pthreads --enable-libx264 --enable-liba52 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libgsm --enable-libxvid
    Code:
    mplayer/mencoder config line

./configure --enable-gui --enable-menu --enable-xvmc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello! This is my adventure on Ubuntu 8.04:

1.- I uninstalled ffmpeg and x264 from synaptic. It also removed many programs that were dependencies (SMPlayer, mplayer, vlc, some gstreamer stuff etc) I took note of it and I did remove all.

2.- I followed this guide to update yasm, x264 and ffmpeg. Then I downloaded Avidemux from the autor's website http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ and installed it.

3.- I did various encodings from AVI files to mp4 for a PSP, for IPOD and a Blackberry and they all work great! Even with subtitles, I just needed to search for a proper TTF font on the subtitles settings. (/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/FreeSans.ttf works at 14 pts.

I later installed some stuff I wanted like SMPlayer and I'll wait more for vlc, SMPlayer is lighter and works great too (is a nicer gui to mplayer) Something I like of it it resumes the movie were you left after closing it.

But still, on the automatic updates keeps asking me to "downgrade" to the crippled versions of fmpeg and x264, the ones that CANNOT encode to PSP or IPOD because legal stuff I believe. I did try the "sudo aptitude hold ffmpeg x264" but it didn't work. So is just annoying to have it on red telling me all the time I need to "downgrade".

Has anyone else found a fix for this? I gloogled about it without any luck so far.

Anyway I just registered today to tell you thank you! My Avidemux works now
    i do this but not work

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbl016 View Post
    I was able to install today's most recent x264 and ffmpeg 15451 without that error, but this is on a clean, up-to-date, standard installation of Ubuntu with the only additional packages being the ones needed for the tutorial. I think the patch has already been applied in ffmpeg SVN.

I was also able to install mplayer from the repo without it wanting to reinstall any ffmpeg libraries, but I only looked at the dependencies and didn't look into detail.

So, basically I'm no help. Have you tried again with the most recent x264 and ffmpeg? Make sure to refer to the "Updating Your Installation" section of the tutorial.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; September 28th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by s_bahmani View Post
    i do this but not work
    What are you trying to do? What errors do you have?

Page 12 of 241 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast