Page 42 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Fakeoutdoorsman,

It seems that FFmpeg has dropped support for the non-free amr libraries in favour of opencore-amr:

which of course makes your brief guide:

How to play AMR audio files
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...67&postcount=9

Hmmm.... maybe I have given a little more than a start . Mind you I note there is a debian directory with the usual section for creating a debian package which would probably be a better idea.

Andrew
    Thanks for the update, Andrew. I forgot about that post, and truthfully, I've been out of the FFmpeg loop for about a month and even suspended my mailing list subscription. It's been a sunny summer so far which can be rare for southeast Alaska. I'll try to catch up this week, but I can't guarantee anything. It's good to have another video enthusiast at the forums here and I appreciate the time you put into this.

Quote Originally Posted by bgiannes View Post
    i need to do a

cd ffmpeg
    cp ffmpeg /usr/bin/

for the build to work

FakeOutdoorsman love your work!!

oh and i needed one or more of these to make x11grab work, (i have a new 9.04 install)

sudo aptitude install libice-dev libsm-dev libx11-dev libxext-dev libxi-dev libxmu-dev libxmuu-dev libxpm-dev libxrandr-dev libxt-dev libxtrap-dev libxtst-dev libxv-dev x-dev zlib1g-dev
    I never needed to copy the binary to make it work since checkinstall seems to do that fine for me. Did you use checkinstall?

You're right about x11grab. I assumed I tested this when I added --enable-x11grab, but now that I think about it I probably forgot and just thought I did. The libx11-dev package seemed to do the trick so far, but I need to actually test it this time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by alexcckll View Post
    Umm - I'm on Hardy, but now scared for when I may need to upgrade to the next LTS.

I trust that the non-free encoders are available in the version of ffmpeg that I would be able to buy from Canonical?

If that is the case - I'll buy the fully-supported version - if it's just an apt-get away...
    Forgive my ignorance, but I don't really know what you're asking. Are you talking about the Fluendo pack from the Canonical Store? I really know nothing about this software and I don't see any mention of FFmpeg in the item description.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by alexcckll View Post
    Umm - I'm on Hardy, but now scared for when I may need to upgrade to the next LTS.

I trust that the non-free encoders are available in the version of ffmpeg that I would be able to buy from Canonical?

If that is the case - I'll buy the fully-supported version - if it's just an apt-get away...

hello, i think your asking, if you need to pay for ffmpeg (full version).

the full version is FREE! the codecs are all free as well, because the code was all written from the ground up to work as codecs in the market place.

but you need to "build" ffmpeg yourself if you would like these codecs.

so take a look at post #1 and follow it... there is only a little more for you to do them just a apt-get

ps i think www.Canonical.com only promotes ubuntu and does training

so updating will only cost you your time.
    Last edited by bgiannes; July 11th, 2009 at 04:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but I don't really know what you're asking. Are you talking about the Fluendo pack from the Canonical Store? I really know nothing about this software and I don't see any mention of FFmpeg in the item description.
    Yes.

What is the difference between the FFMPEG stuff and Fluendo?

And - isn't FFMPEG normally updated as a matter of course by Release Management? Just that I'd prefer to stick to fully-supported solutions. Seeing that I currently have no problem using iPlayer or 4OD...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Fluendo is the payware implementation of the gstreamer decoding libraries.
    It doesnt allow encoding of any media just decoding.
    In good conscience i cant recommend fluendo for that anymore because as of now the opensource gstreamer decoders that you can find in ubuntu via synaptic are on par with what fluendo can do.
    Also fluendo does not decode EVERY media codec format for example real media (if you still use that or view it) cant be decoded by fluendo however the opensource gstreamer library can.
    I discovered this shocking revelation when i tried media playback using the fluendo decoders alone, it made buying them from my point of view useless (Protip read the fine print about what decoding it supports) since when you install the opensource decoders they handle what fluendo was intended to do. Finally fluendo doesnt have 100% support for 64bit OS systems so if you have ubuntu 64 it will be required that you install the open decoders for the unsupported media which then makes fluendo again a moot point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Fakeoutdoorsman,

It seems that FFmpeg has dropped support for the non-free amr libraries in favour of opencore-amr:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ svn log svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk -r 19365 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    r19365 | diego | 2009-07-07 10:28:16 +1000 (Tue, 07 Jul 2009) | 3 lines

Remove support for nonfree libamr library for AMR-NB/WB decoding/encoding.
    libopencore can now be used as a replacement except for AMR-WB encoding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    which of course makes your brief guide:

How to play AMR audio files
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...67&postcount=9

correct only for older revisions. I am still scrabbling around myself with the gitorious git repository to re-enable amr support . Looks like the following will be a start:

Code:
    $ git clone --depth=1 git://gitorious.org/opencore-amr/opencore-amr.git
    $ cd opencore-amr
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    $ make clean
    and for the FFmpeg ./configure to succeed:

Code:
      --enable-libopencore-amrnb \
      --enable-libopencore-amrwb \
      --enable-version3
    Hmmm.... maybe I have given a little more than a start . Mind you I note there is a debian directory with the usual section for creating a debian package which would probably be a better idea.

Andrew
    Yes it scared me a bit when i had to go hunting for opencore-amr but the documentation on enabling it in ffmpeg is simple enough
    cd to your ffmpeg directory and pull the code via git within there, next cd into opencore-amr , ./configure, make , cd up one level into the ffmpeg directory ( cd .. ) and them build ffmpeg like normal with --enable-libopencore-amrwb etc via ./configure.

Beans

Hi cor2y,

Quote Originally Posted by cor2y View Post
    Yes it scared me a bit when i had to go hunting for opencore-amr but the documentation on enabling it in ffmpeg is simple enough
    cd to your ffmpeg directory and pull the code via git within there, next cd into opencore-amr , ./configure, make , cd up one level into the ffmpeg directory ( cd .. ) and them build ffmpeg like normal with --enable-libopencore-amrwb etc via ./configure.
    I will admit that I installed the libraries to the system as I am hopeful that MPlayer will have support for opencore-amr eventually. Mind you FFmpeg will probably discard the opencore-amr libraries in the future anyway as the SOC amr project comes to completion.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Things like mplayer, ffmpeg, x264, etc. should be repackaged for all versions of any Ubuntu at least every week.
    With the ffmpeg of Ubuntu 8 Hardy Heron I couldnt watch high quality videos because of the heavy frame rate dropping, and it was very frustrating. I also couldnt manage to make the mkv subs of any anime work with the PS3 Media Server. But this last problem worked without problems on OpenSUSE... why? mplayer version? mencoder parameters? fonts? why???

Well, thanksfully, I reached this thread, which, after compiling everything, made all the high quality video files work without problems even without resintalling anything, I just opened mplayer again and it worked smoothly. It also fixed the problem with the subs on the MKV files and the PS3 Media Server.

Now I remember why I loved Gentoo so much... but because of work I dont have anymore time to maintain it, so I use Ubuntu/Fedora/OpenSUSE/Arch...

but im seriously thinking on coming back to Gentoo now... building your own programs takes a lot of time, but its something that really worth it after all. With ALL of your programs being improved/fixed every day, what packaging system could stand clean always?

Beans

Hi Guys,

I just managed to put my first HD video on youTube, which doesn't sound like an achievement until you try to get the settings that 'the tube' understands.

I ended up using

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i in.mts -deinterlace -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ab 192k -ar 44100 -vcodec libx264 -b 6000k -bt 6000k -threads 5 -f mp4 out.mkv
    until i managed to get these right, i had triple speed audio, double speed video, half speed video, no audio, youtube conversion failures and most combinations.

seems the -ar is important, needs to be 44100

This was raw AVCHD video - 12 MegaBit video from a Sony HFS10.

endocded with

FFmpeg version SVN-r18858
    built on May 25 2009 17:48:50, gcc: 4.3.3

on quad core AMD.

I know this isn't strictly the correct place to post this information but when i was googling i couldn't find any settings for ffmpeg > youtube.

I'd just like to say thanks again for putting these instructions together, making it easier to get high quality video on linux.

Beans

Hi SL666,

Quote Originally Posted by SL666 View Post
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i in.mts -deinterlace \
           -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ab 192k -ar 44100 \
           -vcodec libx264 -b 6000k -bt 6000k -threads 5 \
           -f mp4 out.mkv
    Good on you for working out the correct syntax for youtube HD videos . But can I ask 2 questions about your syntax?

1. You have -f mp4 out.mkv which I suspect is a contradiction. If you mean simply to use an mp4 container I suspect just out.mp4 would be enough for FFmpeg, or do you have a special reason for this?
    2. Will the x264 presets do anything for these videos or does youtube do this sort of encoding with your finished product anyway?

Fascinating though, i have always held off submitting videos to youtube because I was not sure how to present a file that would not be mangled at the youtube end .

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I can't honestly tell you if its a contradiction or not, all i know is that I've been using ffmpeg mostly for encoding DVB mpegTS to play on a mythbuntu box, and i've had trouble playing it if set any other way.

Happy to be corrected (i don't know much about this stuff) but it seems to produce a different file if the extension on the output is mp4 (for example) seems to actually put it into an mkv wrapper with that extension? (i did it, it worked, i didn't ask questions) i do know that it errors if you try '-f mkv'

Unknown input or output format: mkv

Page 42 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast