Page 23 of 241 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

Ok..finaly done, but after i locked App...

"6. Lock your packages. If you named your packages "x264" and "ffmpeg" then aptitude and apt/Synaptic will attempt to "upgrade" your new x264 and ffmpeg installations with the ancient official versions in the repository. If you use aptitude:
    Code:

sudo aptitude hold x264 ffmpeg

or apt-get/Synaptic:
    Open System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager -> Choose the x264 package -> Package -> Lock Version

I'll sugest instead "sudo aptitude hold x264 ffmpeg" in guide to be only "Lock Version" for both ffmpeg and x264 before they start to install them even at the begining, so people will not be confused anymore
    Last edited by @H.264; November 17th, 2008 at 05:33 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by @H.264 View Post
    I'll try now...

p.s. same thing for both packages ( ffmpeg+x264 )?

//Edit:

So, what do i need to write on option 3?
    I see you've decided on holding . It works, of course. In answer to the above, if you read the instructions given there, you have to type '3' to
    select the option you want to change, then there would be an input prompt

Code:
    >>
    Then just input the appropriate version number.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I just tested the example and it worked fine for me. Some people have been getting the rate control error when libx264-dev is installed. Also, libx264 had some major API changes not too long ago that breaks older revisions of ffmpeg. Make sure you are using the latest ffmpeg and x264 (how old is r15746?). Show the output of:
    Code:
    x264 --version
    Here's the output of x264.
    Code:
    billh@billaspire:~$ x264 --version
    x264 0.65.999 cc51047
    I re-installed both x264 and ffmpeg that day of the post (that's nov 16, 2008 )

Here's my ffmpeg just in case you want to see
    Code:
    billh@billaspire:~$ ffmpeg --version
    FFmpeg version SVN-r15746, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
      configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --disable-debug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-pthreads --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree
      libavutil     49.12. 0 / 49.12. 0
      libavcodec    52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
      libavformat   52.23. 1 / 52.23. 1
      libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
      libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
      built on Oct 30 2008 13:37:51, gcc: 4.3.2
    ffmpeg: missing argument for option '--version'
    billh@billaspire:~$
    Last edited by billhung; November 18th, 2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: the "2008)" text showed up as an icon incorrectly because of the 8).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by @H.264 View Post
    Ok..finaly done, but after i locked App...

"6. Lock your packages. If you named your packages "x264" and "ffmpeg" then aptitude and apt/Synaptic will attempt to "upgrade" your new x264 and ffmpeg installations with the ancient official versions in the repository. If you use aptitude:
    Code:

sudo aptitude hold x264 ffmpeg

or apt-get/Synaptic:
    Open System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager -> Choose the x264 package -> Package -> Lock Version

I'll sugest instead "sudo aptitude hold x264 ffmpeg" in guide to be only "Lock Version" for both ffmpeg and x264 before they start to install them even at the begining, so people will not be confused anymore
    I experienced the same thing. And after doing what @H.264 suggested, the synaptic package manager no long ask me for update. And I didn't even need a reboot.
    Last edited by billhung; November 18th, 2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: typo for "ask"

Beans

Thanks for tutorial, but I am still having problems with xvid support. Whenever I specify "-vcodec xvid" when using ffmpeg I get an encoder not found msg.

To install the support, I started by using Synaptic to install libxvidcore4-dev. Then I started at the point in the instructions for updating the installation. I ran

sudo apt-get purge ffmpegx x264-git which ran ok. (these are the names I assigned when doing the initial checkinstall)

make distclean - also seemed to run ok.
    git pull - already updated
    then the configure, make, checkinstall, and ldconfig for x264 which ran ok too.

Did cd to ffmpeg directory and ran "make distclean" and "svn update" commands which looked ok.

Then I ran the configure command shown in the instructions but added --enable-libxvid onto the end. That also seemed to go ok as did the make and checkinstall.

But when I use ffmpeg to encode a video, if I have "-vcodec xvid" it just doesn't work due to the encoder xvid not found. output from "ffmpeg -formats" doesn't list anything with the characters "xvid" in it.

Everything looks ok to me but it still doesn't work. Sorry, but I am way too new at this to figure it out myself.

Oh, btw, this is on an Ubuntu Intrepid 32-bit installation.

TIA,

xeddog

Beans

You did the right steps, except you need to use "-vcodec libxvid". Alternatively, and for those who did not --enable-libxvid and install libxvidcore4-dev, ffmpeg can still encode to xvid with:
    Code:
    -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag xvid
    More info: How do I encode Xvid or DivX video with ffmpeg?
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; November 21st, 2008 at 01:19 AM.

Beans

Aw CRAP! I knew this was gonna happen. I spend the better part of a day trying to figure this out and it just escapes me. So I put up a post for help. THEN I decide to do some elementary diagnosis. I found an older version of ffmpeg in the my %PATH that did not have xvid enabled. When I used the full path name to execute ffmpeg that I want, it works.

xeddog

Beans

Sorry I neglected to mention this in my original post, but I tried using "-vcodec libxvid" too. Neither worked because of the path problem.

Regarding the -vtag option, I tried that and still had a problem playing the video. I am trying to use a D-Link DSM-520 media server for the player and it is VERY particular about the codec and options used for encoding.

When I used "-vcodec mpeg4", ffmpeg runs just fine. When I try to play the video on the D-link, it will play about 5-6 seconds of the video just fine, and then it will stop and just show about 1 frame a second or two. Also, the audio is hosed from the start and just "chirps" about once every second. This has happened using several different applications on both Linux and XP. But when I use the xvid encoder, they play just fine on the D-link, and that is why I specifically wanted the xvid encoder.

Thanks,

xeddog

Beans

Hi Fakeoutdoorsman,

You may know that I work on the little brother to this guide, the svn Mplayer guide. I am working on adding a checkinstall option to this thread although I am not a big fan of checkinstall .

In doing so I may have found the solution to the problem of having to manually create directories before using checkinstall to install ffmpeg for Intrepid Ibex. Can I suggest the following syntax:

Code:
    sudo checkinstall -D --fstrans=no --install=yes \
                      --pkgname ffmpeg \
                      --pkgversion "svn-`date +%d%m%Y`" \
                      --backup=no --deldoc=yes \
                      --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes
    which works on my system. All the extra options are merely useful but the solution to the missing directories seems to be the '--fstrans=no --install=yes' one.

I would love to know if this worked on your system and more than flattered if part of this appeared in your guide . Similar work will be appearing in my own guide soon along with a few more checkinstall options that I am working through.

All the best,

Andrew

Edit: It works so well that I have added a similar commandline for the MPlayer guide
    Last edited by andrew.46; November 21st, 2008 at 11:03 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I would love to know if this worked on your system and more than flattered if part of this appeared in your guide . Similar work will be appearing in my own guide soon along with a few more checkinstall options that I am working through.
    Hi Andrew,

How did you figure this out? This is good news because the directory making seemed that it should have been unnecessary. I tested it out on both Hardy and Intrepid and all seemed just fine.

I somewhat followed the Ubuntu versioning convention to prevent annoying updates as mentioned earlier by Ng Oon-Ee. Not sure if there is any downside to that or not, but it seems to work.

Thanks for the help and nice guide (I've subscribed to it).

Page 23 of 241 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast