Page 73 of 236 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

n.hinton is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Hi aircooledbusnut,

Have you tried other formats? Seems there's nothing to lose.

Code:
    -acodec aac -ac 2 -vcodec mpeg4 -s 320x240 -aspect 4:3 -b 768k -r 29.97 -ab 64000 -ar 48000
    Output file should be filename.mp4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Still no go. I am looking through the other files that do work. So far all are using the wmv3 codec for video and wmav2 codec for audio. Most the other info is standard.

I will keep cracking. If I figure it out, I will deffinitely post it.

Clint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'd check your documentation for your walkman see what codecs it officially supports.
    I believe the problem may be that it doesnt support the older wmv2 video codec, i could be wrong of course.
    Since MS has yet to open up the wmv3 codec or its vc-1 codec fmpeg doesnt support encoding only decoding of those formats, you can only encode files to wmv1 or wmv2, did you try encoding using the libx264 library and mp4 container?
    It should support H.264 and AAC audio, of course if its picky like the ipod about what type of mp4 it can playback you may have to invoke special options while encoding.

EDIT
    I see there is this thread on encoding video to a walkman, its a bit old but it might give you some ideas, it also looks like the author used mpeg4 instead of H.264 or wmv2 as the video codec type for encoding along with libfaac, you could try that
    I also found this post on Sony Walkman and video types.
    the Walkman is notoriously particular about what types of files it will actually play. As stated in the manual, it only supports the MP4 "memory stick" format, with the file extensions .mp4 and .m4v. Two video codecs are supported: H.264/AVC (with maximum bit rate of 768 k/sec), and MPEG-4 (with maximum bit rate of 2,500 k/sec). The maximum frame rate is 30 fps, the maximum resolution is 320x240, and the maximum supported file size is 2 Gigabytes.
    And there are these two more recent guides for different walkman models.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=984339 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=693867
    Pay attention to the ffmpeg syntax used for the encoding.
    Last edited by cor2y; December 2nd, 2009 at 06:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by cor2y View Post
    Since MS has yet to open up the wmv3 codec or its vc-1 codec fmpeg doesnt support encoding only decoding of those formats
    MS doesn't have to. VC-1 is a SMPTE standard, and thus can feasibly be implemented from their published docs. And on that standard, VC-1 is not just the Advanced profile that most people know it as - it's the entirety of WMV9 (VC-1 Main = WMV9 Main).

I do remember some buzz about the working stages of a FOSS VC-1 encoder, but that was a couple years ago. Besides, H.264 has beat out VC-1 in quality tests, and the speed of x264 vs. the often-horrible encode times for VC-1 Advanced from the MS offerings skew the results heavily in favor of H.264. IIRC, more Blu-rays now use H.264 instead of MPEG-2 or VC-1, even though it officially supports all three.
    Last edited by qyot27; December 2nd, 2009 at 08:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have checked the documentation. The Walkman manual specifically states the video format must be .wmv. All the video I have managed to play on it use the wmv3 codec.

Thanks

Beans

With Ubuntu 9.04 the repository doesn't include a high enough version of libtheora-dev to satisfy FFMPEG during configuration.

This is the call to configure used:
    Code:
    sudo ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --enable-libvorbis --enable-shared
    Here is a snipit of the last paragraph or config.err:
    Code:
    gcc -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -E -o /tmp/ffconf.BUmsxuGI.o /tmp/ffconf.YRSbYlno.c
    In file included from /tmp/ffconf.YRSbYlno.c:1:
    /usr/include/theora/theoraenc.h:25:20: error: codec.h: No such file or directory
    ERROR: libtheora not found
    I did some searching and found through this thread that the libtheora-dev library might not satisfy the requirements in 9.04, but some have found that it does not pose a problem.

My question then aside from upgrading to 9.10 is, How can I manually pull in through alternative repositories the latest libtheora-dev library? I would like to do so without manually compiling if possible.

Aside from my problems I give praise to FakeOutdoorsman for this excellent tutorial that I've followed on 3 different machines to setup FFMPEG with.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aircooledbusnut View Post
    I have checked the documentation. The Walkman manual specifically states the video format must be .wmv. All the video I have managed to play on it use the wmv3 codec.

Thanks
    aircooledbusnut what model walkman do you possess?
    And again read my previous post, ffmpeg does not support wmv3 encoding only wmv2, and that may be the problem.
    I saw three sony walkman models, i looked at while trying to find a solution for you all support mpeg4.h.264 and wmv3 video codecs so i assume any later or previous models would also support this esp if has to use the mp4 container, i dont think sony would release a product that exclusively and only supports the microsoft wmv video codec and nothing else thats something i would expect from the zune players.
    Last edited by cor2y; December 2nd, 2009 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sn3akyP3t3 View Post
    With Ubuntu 9.04 the repository doesn't include a high enough version of libtheora-dev to satisfy FFMPEG during configuration.

This is the call to configure used:
    Code:
    sudo ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --enable-libvorbis --enable-shared
    Here is a snipit of the last paragraph or config.err:
    Code:
    gcc -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -E -o /tmp/ffconf.BUmsxuGI.o /tmp/ffconf.YRSbYlno.c
    In file included from /tmp/ffconf.YRSbYlno.c:1:
    /usr/include/theora/theoraenc.h:25:20: error: codec.h: No such file or directory
    ERROR: libtheora not found
    I did some searching and found through this thread that the libtheora-dev library might not satisfy the requirements in 9.04, but some have found that it does not pose a problem.

My question then aside from upgrading to 9.10 is, How can I manually pull in through alternative repositories the latest libtheora-dev library? I would like to do so without manually compiling if possible.

Aside from my problems I give praise to FakeOutdoorsman for this excellent tutorial that I've followed on 3 different machines to setup FFMPEG with.
    Libtheora is at the latest version for 9.10 as far as i know , it is recognized by svn ffmpeg when compiling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My Sony Walkman is ann NWZ-E345. Manual states .wmv only. But I have seen several advertisements that state it does both. I have not been able to get any .mp4 to work.

Beans
    Distro

According to amazon.com your walkman does indeed support mp4 file format which means mpeg4 as well as H.264 codecs.
    It seems a bit weird that while it does indeed list wmv/wma it has in brackets the words (DRM) i have no idea if that means in addition to wmv3 it also supports wmv3 drm'd files or if it ONLY supports wmv/wma files that have drm on them that would be insane but you can never tell with these companies.

Remember when encoding your video resolution must be 320x240 at maximum, must have a frame rate of 30/29.95 fps and your video bitrate cant exceed 768kbps for both mp4 or wmv3.
    Last edited by cor2y; December 3rd, 2009 at 12:27 AM.

Page 73 of 236 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast