Page 225 of 230 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 2295

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

It is possible to install a local only copy of FFmpeg and direct the ./configure process of an application to find this specific copy by manipulating the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable. An example here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompileVLC#FFmpeg...

which shows the local copy and for vlc the ./configure process is altered to include:

Code:
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/lib/pkgconfig" \
    Once this is scripted it is not so painful . Hopefully something similar will work for kdenlive...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

True, although I'd hardly call having to use PKG_CONFIG_PATH painful. It's pretty much a necessity for cross-compiling.

In other news, x264's AviSynth input module now also supports using AvxSynth (as of February 26th). FFmpeg has a rewritten AviSynth demuxer (initial commit on March 20th) that acts in the same way as x264's, by dynamically loading the library itself; previously, it was tied to Video for Windows. On Linux and OSX, it also supports AvxSynth. x264 automatically enables the support, FFmpeg requires the --enable-avisynth option to do so. This also means that media players that rely on libavformat can play .avs scripts on non-Windows (like mpv, my preferred mplayer variant and mencoder replacement).

The issue of not having AviSynth's large library of external plugins is a drawback, but up until now it was much more difficult to work with AvxSynth, and therefore, also trying to get any of those plugins ported would seem like a waste. Now that both x264 and FFmpeg (and through FFmpeg, anything that relies on libavformat) can use it, hopefully the process will be accelerated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    It is possible to install a local only copy of FFmpeg and direct the ./configure process of an application to find this specific copy by manipulating the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable.
    That is the direction the guide will evolve to. No more system install or messing with the package management system. I haven't been able to work on it lately, and probably will not be able to for some time, but if anyone would like to contribute that would be fine with me.

Beans

Here's a start to the new version of the guide that will provide a "local" install (is there a more common or more accurate term for this?) of ffmpeg and x264. This should avoid any system installation and will also allow users to install the crappy fake-ffmpeg/libav junk from the repo with no conflict. As an added bonus this will fit well with andrew.46's VLC guide. Also, by changing the custom locations users can install multiple versions. Users without root access can use a similar method provided they at least have build-essentials. Binaries go to "$HOME/bin" since Ubuntu by default has this in the $PATH in ~/.profile and issuance of ffmpeg in console will use the local version and trump the repo version.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -y install autoconf automake build-essential git libass-dev libfaac-dev libgpac-dev libmp3lame-dev libsdl1.2-dev libtheora-dev libtool libva-dev libvdpau-dev libvorbis-dev libvpx-dev libx11-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev pkg-config texi2html yasm zlib1g-dev

cd
    git clone --depth 1 git://git.videolan.org/x264.git
    cd x264
    ./configure --prefix=$HOME/ffmpeg_build --bindir=$HOME/bin --enable-static
    make
    make install
    make distclean

cd
    git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/mstorsjo/fdk-aac.git
    cd fdk-aac
    autoreconf -fiv
    ./configure --prefix=$HOME/ffmpeg_build --disable-shared
    make
    make install
    make distclean

cd
    git clone --depth 1 git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg
    cd ffmpeg
    ./configure --prefix=$HOME/ffmpeg_build --extra-cflags="-I$HOME/ffmpeg_build/include" --extra-ldflags="-L$HOME/ffmpeg_build/lib" --bindir=$HOME/bin --enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libfaac --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-x11grab --enable-libx264  --enable-nonfree
    make
    make install
    make distclean

source ~/.profile

Questions/Comments:
    • How should "man ffmpeg" be implemented? There is the "--mandir" standard configure option, but I haven't actually tried anything or looked beyond that.
    • What about "--datadir"? Generally this is default to "/usr/(local)/share/ffmpeg". For general users the only somewhat useful contents are the presets. I suppose "$HOME/.ffmpeg" could work, since ffmpeg looks there for presets (or at least used to) but I haven't tried anything.
    • Does everything, such as the external encoders, actually work? Again, I haven't tried.
    • Making a shallow repository with "--depth 1" seems to screw with the commit number in the ffmpeg console output such as "N-37392-gbc63a76" when it should be at least "N-52966-ga9705e4", but I didn't rule out user error.
    • I pruned some "lesser" dependencies (libjack, libspeex, opencore-amr, librtmp [native support should suffice]) for no real reason other than making a slimmer guide, but looks like I forgot opus...
    • To "uninstall" just delete "~/ffmpeg_build" and "~/bin/[ffmpeg,ffplay,ffprobe,ffserver,x264]".

Tested in 13.04. Worksforme™ but I'm open to any suggestions of course. Thanks to andrew.46 and mc4man for the motivation and hints. Once it looks good enough I'll change the ffmpeg guide to use this method.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: man install dir

As far as the man pages -
    Works out fine here having them go to /usr/local/share/man/man1/, checked in both terminal & thru manpage scope, screens from 12.04
    (guide works fine here 12.04 & 13.04, the extra flags work well, I'd tried them first, must of been mistyping or an errant space..
    So that's -
    Code:
    --mandir=/usr/local/share/man
    datadir don't know, haven't used what's in it. Would just use same location as previous guide produced (easy to check, though haven't done so here, just took a guess.. /usr/local/share/ffmpeg

(- here I'll still send the binaries to /usr/local/bin, also available to all from there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; May 13th, 2013 at 05:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    . Thanks to andrew.46 and mc4man for the motivation and hints.
    Thanks for introducing me to FFmpeg in the first place . BTW it may be a very stupid question but do you actually have to build the x264 executable for FFmpeg? (by building x264 with --disable-cli).
    Last edited by andrew.46; May 13th, 2013 at 08:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    ...do you actually have to build the x264 executable for FFmpeg? (by building x264 with --disable-cli).
    No, but I like to include it for users who may want to use it directly...although without lavf support in x264, by simply compiling x264 again after ffmpeg, I don't know how easy it is to use for the general user. Maybe I'll add it to the instructions. It used to be a separate optional section, but I wanted to reduce the verbosity/noise of the guide.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: man install dir

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    As far as the man pages -
    Works out fine here having them go to /usr/local/share/man/man1/
    Probably the way I'll go, but for now I did nothing since I got impatient and updated the wiki page as is. I'd prefer to keep everything in the home directory, and to avoid checkinstall and/or "make uninstall" (and export), but apart from messing with $MANPATH or whatever I don't know of other options yet.

Beans

Hi, actually I am trying to build ffmpeg as a shared library, I tried to do that on 13.04 basically following your guide but with shared enabled for all the libs and got this error

Code:
    ffmpeg: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.so.55: undefined symbol: vpx_codec_vp9_dx_algo
    If libvpx is disabled then it works. Is this a conflict between libvbx1 and the built version? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Beans

I see ftp support is in place for FFmpeg, has anybody got it working? I have tried and failed several times

Page 225 of 230 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227 ... LastLast