Page 214 of 236 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 2357

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Since the libutvideo wrapper supports encoding now too, are there any plans to include it in the tutorial as well?

Beans

What is the general use case for UT Video? I have the impression that it's used among the anime community, but I'm not sure how they are using it. I don't know who else uses it, but I might suggest my Windows friends to try it as an intermediate for editing instead of huffyuv simply because it's easier to install, IIRC.

Beans

For those of you who want to try UT Video:
    Code:
    wget http://umezawa.dyndns.info/archive/utvideo/utvideo-10.2.4-src.zip
    unzip utvideo-10.2.4-src.zip
    cd utvideo-10.2.4
    make
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=utvideo --pkgversion="10.2.4" --backup=no --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default
    Then configure ffmpeg with --enable-gpl --enable-libutvideo. This will provide the libutvideo encoder and decoder. FFmpeg also comes with a native utvideo decoder but I don't know how it compares to libutvideo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    What is the general use case for UT Video? I have the impression that it's used among the anime community, but I'm not sure how they are using it. I don't know who else uses it, but I might suggest my Windows friends to try it as an intermediate for editing instead of huffyuv simply because it's easier to install, IIRC.
    Both ffdshow and LAV Filters provide support for HuffYUV decoding (ffdshow can also encode ffvhuff through the VFW interface, dunno if LAV Filters can), so I don't know if I'd say Ut Video is necessarily easier to install - although it is if you're comparing it to the reference HuffYUV inf/dll package (but that package doesn't support YV12 encoding/decoding or the Adaptive Huffman tables option...those are both ffvhuff features).

Use case is usually toted as an editing/storage codec instead of Lagarith* (or FFV1) - Lagarith has issues sometimes with frame corruption, and both it and FFV1 are rather slow to encode. Primarily it's because Ut Video is faster to decode, although this is highly highly subject to the processor used - Ut is SSE2 optimized, so it might be capable of running circles around HuffYUV when editing or previewing or whatall (on non-SSE2 processors, there's not much a difference in speed between it and Lagarith, at least since Lagarith got a performance update a couple versions ago). It also gets compression somewhere between regular HuffYUV and Lagarith.

*and this is of course under the situation that you're running Windows or Wine, since Lagarith support in FFmpeg is still incomplete and limited to decoding. So on Linux it's more of a 'faster than HuffYUV on decode, faster than FFV1 on encode' issue.

In my tests of the native utvideo decoder vs. using libutvideo's decoder, the native decoder was faster (this was through the FFMS2 AviSynth plugin and clocked using avsmeter). But this is also considering that I don't have an SSE2 processor, and I don't know if the native decoder is optimized for that the way that libutvideo is. So on newer processors, it could still come down to speed.

My personal reason for asking was mainly for the checkinstall line, but also that I don't know how likely it is to end up in the repositories, since it strictly is FFmpeg that supports libutvideo. I'd say it's pretty likely it might get caught up in the politics of the situation concerning the fork and not be included for that reason. I'm not aware of anything other than FFmpeg (or by extension, things that link to FFmpeg) that can use it at the moment.

I actually have a script that checks the official site and automatically downloads the latest version, rather than the user needing to know what the specific version is. A simpler portion of the same script can be used strictly for checking versions rather than also downloading.

Check & download:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    LATEST=$(wget http://umezawa.dyndns.info/archive/utvideo/ -O - | grep "src.zip" - | tail -1 | cut -f7 -d ">" | sed -e "s/zip.*/zip/g" -e "s/^/http\:\/\/umezawa.dyndns.info\/archive\/utvideo\//g")
    wget $LATEST
    Check only:
    Code:
    wget http://umezawa.dyndns.info/archive/utvideo/ -O - | grep "src.zip" - | tail -1 | cut -f7 -d ">" | sed "s/zip.*/zip/g"
    Last edited by qyot27; March 16th, 2012 at 12:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not that I'm any expert on using ffmpeg at all, however I thought I would just add possibly an update script as based on the original directions on the tutorial:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#PLEASE MODIFY THE FOLLOWING LINE DEPENDING ON YOUR INSTALLATION
    BASEDIR=~/src

#Updating x264
    echo "....Updating x264"
    cd $BASEDIR/x264
    if [[ $(git rev-list --max-count=1 master) != $(git rev-list --max-count=1 origin/master) ]]; then
       make distclean
       git pull
       ./configure --enable-static
       make
       sudo checkinstall --pkgname=x264 --pkgversion=""3:$(./version.sh | \
          awk -F'[" ]' '/POINT/{print $4"+git"$5}')" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \
          --fstrans=no --default"
    fi

#Updating libvpx
    echo "....Updating libvpx"
    cd $BASEDIR/libvpx
    if [[ $(git rev-list --max-count=1 master) != $(git rev-list --max-count=1 origin/master) ]]; then
       make clean
       git pull
       ./configure
       make
       sudo checkinstall --pkgname=libvpx --pkgversion="1:$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)-git" --backup=no \
           --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default
    fi

#Updating ffmpeg
    echo "....Updating ffmpeg"
    cd $BASEDIR/ffmpeg
       make distclean
       git pull
       ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb \
           --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 \
           --enable-nonfree --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab
       make
       sudo checkinstall --pkgname=ffmpeg --pkgversion="5:$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)-git" --backup=no \
         --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default
       hash x264 ffmpeg ffplay ffprobe
    fi

echo "....Updating Done"
    exit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Not that I'm any expert on using ffmpeg at all, however I thought I would just add possibly an update script as based on the original directions on the tutorial:
    I wrote something similiar here:

http://code.google.com/p/x264-ffmpeg-up-to-date/

Looks like it does the same as yours, but allows for some configuration. It use to support all the various distros that Faeke's guide supported, but not any more as it was such a headache to keep updated. It's hosted at google code, but since the update mechanism isn't as good as git, I've moved the code to git.

I found keeping up to date with Fake's updates was difficult, so I don't tend to update it that often (though it is currently up to date).

Feel free to fork and use and abuse in your script as you please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just wanted to give a big Thank You for keeping the guide up to date for Lucid. It would have been a huge undertaking without your guide, and trying to find any guides for Lucid anymore is almost a losing battle.

(LTS = misnomer)

Anyway, it went flawlessly and your work is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Xubuntu 12.04LTS (Precise) 3.2.0-51-generic x86_64
    Xfce 4 Desktop Environment - version 4.10.2 (Xfce 4.10)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Akovia View Post
    Just wanted to give a big Thank You for keeping the guide up to date for Lucid. It would have been a huge undertaking without your guide, and trying to find any guides for Lucid anymore is almost a losing battle.

(LTS = misnomer)

Anyway, it went flawlessly and your work is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    I'm glad it worked for you. I try to have an up-to-date guide for all supported versions of Ubuntu. Luckily I use virtual machines which makes this a much easier task.

Beans

thanks for the simple and straight forward way of usage of FFmpeg and x264 !! Initially it was tough for me but eventually it was easy to follow!!!

Beans

Not having any luck with the installation. I'm running 11.10. The goal is to use recordmydesktop to create ogv videos and then post them to the web as mp4's. This was working fine under a previous version of ubuntu, I think 10.04.

After doing the first 7 steps, I tried the first 'one pass CRF' example, substituting my ogv file for 'input'. The error message that comes back is "Unrecognized option 'preset' "

If I take out "-preset slow", the error message that comes back is: "Unknown encoder 'libx264' "

I tried re-installing without any of the optional steps and got the same behavior.

If I do a 'which ffmpeg', I get /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg. Checking the date and time created, shows that it is the one I just built.

Any suggestions?

Page 214 of 236 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224 ... LastLast