Page 205 of 236 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2358

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Quote Originally Posted by katya_sehgal View Post
    ...I installed WinFF from terminal and got a different software from the one I got from Software Centre!
    Are you using FFmpeg directly, or via WinFF? If you prefer to use WinFF, then you should probably use ffmpeg from the repository because, last I checked, the WinFF presets are not updated to work with recent FFmpeg.

Now when I convert I get this:
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15o88lj&s=5
    You are attempting to encode with the libxvid encoder, but this guide does not install that encoder because the "mpeg4" encoder in FFmpeg usually does the job. I don't know your command, so I can't give you an exact replacement.

I want to convert MTS to smaller formats with as little loss as possible. So that the video play smoothly in OpenShot. From OpenShot, I will cut the video.
    I have no experience with OpenShot. Does it not like the MTS files? FFmpeg can perform simple cuts. If all you are doing is cutting you could use FFmpeg, otherwise an editor, such as OpenShot I guess, would be more appropriate. I'm not sure what formats OpenShot will accept. Maybe I'll try it myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Are you using FFmpeg directly, or via WinFF? If you prefer to use WinFF, then you should probably use ffmpeg from the repository because, last I checked, the WinFF presets are not updated to work with recent FFmpeg.

You are attempting to encode with the libxvid encoder, but this guide does not install that encoder because the "mpeg4" encoder in FFmpeg usually does the job. I don't know your command, so I can't give you an exact replacement.

I have no experience with OpenShot. Does it not like the MTS files? FFmpeg can perform simple cuts. If all you are doing is cutting you could use FFmpeg, otherwise an editor, such as OpenShot I guess, would be more appropriate. I'm not sure what formats OpenShot will accept. Maybe I'll try it myself.
    I am using FFMPEG via WinFF.

I installed FFMPEG by following the guide on page one of this forum.

I then installed WINFF through the terminal.

I would prefer using OpenShot to edit. It works with MTS, but MTS lags. It is not smooth during preview (same in Windows).

Do you suggest I delete ffmpeg (that I got from this forum guide) and use only WinFF?

Edit: I am using ffmpeg via WinFF, in the case I was not clear. The posts prior to the last 2, i was using only ffmpeg and not WinFF.
    Last edited by katya_sehgal; December 14th, 2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: additional information

Beans

Do you suggest I delete ffmpeg (that I got from this forum guide) and use only WinFF?
    Yes, but only if for some reason you must use WinFF and its presets.

OpenShot is laggy with the MTS files for me too, unsurprisingly, but you can re-encode the MTS files to a lossless intermediate file that will run much more smoothly in OpenShot:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mts -c:v ffvhuff -c:a copy output.mkv
    I hope you have adequate disk space because this will create some huge files. If this is unacceptable then I can give another example that will use a lossy encoder but should, I'm guessing, still play somewhat smoothly in OpenShot.

You can make a custom WinFF preset based on my example and then you'll be able to use your compiled FFmpeg and WinFF. WinFF itself can use any FFmpeg version, but its default presets won't work with all versions of FFmpeg.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; December 14th, 2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: fix command dumbness

Beans
    Distro

Yes, but only if for some reason you must use WinFF and its presets.

OpenShot is laggy with the MTS files for me too, unsurprisingly, but you can re-encode the MTS files to a lossless intermediate file that will run much more smoothly in OpenShot:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mts -c:v ffvhuff -c:a copy output.mkv
    I hope you have adequate disk space because this will create some huge files. If this is unacceptable then I can give another example that will use a lossy encoder but should, I'm guessing, still play somewhat smoothly in OpenShot.

You can make a custom WinFF preset based on my example and then you'll be able to use your compiled FFmpeg and WinFF. WinFF itself can use any FFmpeg version, but its default presets won't work with all versions of FFmpeg.
    thank you, I think I may need the lossy encoder as well, and would need to understand it as well.
    shall get back to you after using this command. trust you will be around later.

Edit: I understand that ffmpeg would give me flexibility over presets that WINFF won't. I would prefer FFMPEG. But the need to get going makes me opt for WinFF. I hope to get the commands for FFMPEG and understand them
    Last edited by katya_sehgal; December 14th, 2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: more information

Beans

thank you, I think I may need the lossy encoder as well, and would need to understand it as well.
    Lossy command:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mts -c:v mpeg2video -qscale 2 -c:a copy output.mkv
    • -c:v mpeg2video: codec, video using encoder named mpeg2video
    • -qscale: quality level for video output. A value of 2 for MPEG-1/2/4, in my opinion, can usually be considered "roughly visually lossless".
    • -c:a copy: copy the audio from input to output. Does not encode, but it is more like a "copy and paste".

I just realized my MTS samples are all stereo (2 channels), so I'm unsure if my example commands will work with 6 channel or if OpenShot can handle 6 channel inputs.

Beans
    Distro

FakeOutdoorsman, hello.
    I tried your codes. Got the following error:

And same result with the lossy code:
    [*** @ 0x9731320] Only SUBTITLE_*** type supported.

Beans

I know nothing of subtitles, but you can add -sn to the command (before output.mkv) to disable subtitles. That should work, but I don't know if you want to keep the subtitle stream.

Beans
    Distro

I know nothing of subtitles, but you can add -sn to the command (before output.mkv) to disable subtitles. That should work, but I don't know if you want to keep the subtitle stream.
    I added -sn. It is happening! [for newcomers= happiness]
    I must ask, how do I do the entire folder?

Beans
    Distro

Importantly, you had mentioned that there are various websites with outdated information. Would you recommend any one website (I will search the forums of course)? Where I can read and try to interpret? For example, changing output folder once and for all.

As per your estimation, this website is outdated...

It has the command
    ffmpeg -i input.avi -sameq output.mpg
    Would this be the best and the simplest one?
    Last edited by katya_sehgal; December 15th, 2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: More information

Beans

I must ask, how do I do the entire folder?
    You can use a "for loop" (example) or I think you can create a custom preset in WinFF and then use that to select and encode all of the files.

Would you recommend any one website (I will search the forums of course)? Where I can read and try to interpret?
    The problem with most sites that give examples is that they don't keep up with FFmpeg development, but that would be an incredible task as development is very active. This forum (and this thread in particular), the #ffmpeg IRC channel, and the ffmpeg-user mailing list are all good resources.

For example, changing output folder once and for all.
    You can output to any existing directory (assuming you have proper permissions and can write to the desired directory).

Would this be the best and the simplest one?
    http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html
    It's a good one, and in theory should be kept up to date, but it's not always very easy to understand and can seem overwhelming. Another is FFmpeg FAQ.

Page 205 of 236 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215 ... LastLast