Page 203 of 238 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2377

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

The original source file, yes. Don't try to do that with the test file, because it's not good to recompress lossy sources over and over again.

There's several types of resizing filters. I used BilinearResize() in the previous examples because it's fast, but there are others that can give a sharper result. The documentation lists these others, but yes, you would use that filter to make sure the script is giving x264 a video stream that's 800x600, not 800x598.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I followed every step here, but I get 'file not found' (in red font).
    My MTS file is in an external hard drive. I gave the command

ffmpeg -i 00001.mts -sameq output.avi

Beans

qyot27, I haven't tried scaling with avisynth yet, but I found that avidemux can do resizing of a picture(and it has a gui for it) and do it well. And also avidemux has abilitity to use avisynth scripts(haven't tried yet), I wonder if it works with the latest versions of avisynth scripts(in avidemus gui it says of "avisynth version 0.7a internal", suppouse it's old as I see on avisynth site v.2.5)? And as I understand using avisynth with avidemux needs wine or windows?

... I used ffmpeg command for compessing(as I understand, newest versions of ffmpeg don't use -vpre slow syntax):

ffmpeg -i input1.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -tune film -profile main -crf 22 -threads 0 2.mp4
    That gave smoller size video file in 15%.The output 2.mp4 file is playable in vlc and totem also, despite the fact that it has size 800X598, not 800X600. But it's interesting that when I rescaled an output file to 800X600 it gave thumbnail picture of a file in nautilus, while wnen in 800X598 -- it doesn't(but that issue with thumbnails happens also with videos with the picture size of which multiples of 16) .

when I run a command:

ffmpeg -i input1.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -tune film -profile main -crf 29 -threads 0 2.mp4
    that gaves a file smaller in about 40%, and I don't see quality loss(maybe that's because of a low frame rate in 15fps of an input vide), although for this videofile the quality is not so important.

I have a question -- does -vpre slow is an exacly equivalent to -preset slow -tune film?
    Last edited by rulet; December 12th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have learned about Handbrake and EKD and will use them since I need to convert mts files urgently.
    However, I am keen on learning ffmpeg. I have followed all instructions but get the 'file not found' error. My videos are on an external hard drive.

P.S: Do I start a new thread for this?

Beans

katya_sehgal, have you entered(in terminal) into that folder which contains your mts file?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rulet View Post
    I have a question -- does -vpre slow is an exacly equivalent to -preset slow -tune film?
    No. The previous method of using presets with libx264 was via text files that attempted to use the same options that are set as if using "x264 --preset". Not all x264 options were available to the text files, so the text file based presets were not quite complete (although the "important" options were there). Now the presets are accessed directly via libx264 and the text preset files were removed. So, no, even -vpre slow may be not an exact equivalent to -preset slow.

To simplify, consider a tune to be like a mini preset that applies or overwrites several preset options to better suit the output depending on your input (-tune animation for animation input for example).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Generate a life pattern based on a generalization of John Conway's life game:
    Code:
    ffplay -f lavfi life
    Yea, and question, what is that?

Beans

Yea, and question, what is that?
    Just a "toy" filter based on Conway's Game of Life.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by katya_sehgal View Post
    I have learned about Handbrake and EKD and will use them since I need to convert mts files urgently.
    However, I am keen on learning ffmpeg. I have followed all instructions but get the 'file not found' error. My videos are on an external hard drive.

P.S: Do I start a new thread for this?
    your not in the external drives directory and didn't use an explicit path to the file to tell ffmpeg where to find it, so cd to the files directory you want to encode first, then in the shell run something like (assuming you have a current ffmpeg/avconv and not an old one that cant take this new syntax, update if you don't ASAP)

ffmpeg -threads 0 -i "00001.mts" -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -vprofile high -crf 18 -acodec copy "outfile.MP4"

or if you want to de-interlace the file add -vf yadif filter like so

ffmpeg -threads 0 -i "00001.mts" -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -vprofile high -crf 18 -acodec copy -vf yadif "outfile.MP4"

stay away from using the antiquated avi container and use mp4 or mkv today is my advice unless you need it for a given device that cant take anything else, but then it probably cant take high profile AVC/H.264 ether then.
    Last edited by popper; December 13th, 2011 at 02:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I wonder if it works with the latest versions of avisynth scripts(in avidemus gui it says of "avisynth version 0.7a internal", suppouse it's old as I see on avisynth site v.2.5)?
    The '0.7a' is referring to the component that allows Avidemux to use AviSynth, not the version of AviSynth (if 0.7a was even a valid version of AviSynth, that version would be close to/over a decade old).

And as I understand using avisynth with avidemux needs wine or windows?
    I would assume so.
    Last edited by qyot27; December 13th, 2011 at 04:06 AM.

Page 203 of 238 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213 ... LastLast