Page 168 of 236 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 2358

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Quote Originally Posted by sailor420 View Post
    Why would one use ffmpeg vs just calling x264 directly?
    I will use FFmpeg if I want to use some of the filters that are lacking in x264.

Alternatively, why would one chose mencoder vs either of these?
    I've never found much of a need for MEncoder, personally.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to rewrite my batch encoding script to use ffmpeg vs using mplayer to do resize/crop and then x264 to encode. Hoping ffmpeg might make it a bit easier to deal with deinterlacing...
    I recommend using yadif to deinterlace, but be sure to test the yadif in both MPlayer and FFmpeg, because their yadif implementations may not be the same and their outputs may look different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I recommend using yadif to deinterlace, but be sure to test the yadif in both MPlayer and FFmpeg, because their yadif implementations may not be the same and their outputs may look different.
    Yeah, I tried yadif in mplayer and then piping the output from there into x264 via yuv4mpeg. Had a couple of problems with this--speed, some color distortion bands along the top and bottom, and possibly worst, it's somehow dropping frames--I end up with 1:45 of a 2:00 film for example, making everything a bit too fast and getting the audio way out of sync. Driving me nuts. I'm thinking about trying ffmpeg to see if it works better when de-interlacing...

BTW, thanks for the fantastic guide and all the support you've provided after the fact. Very helpful!
    Last edited by sailor420; May 5th, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Hmmm. Fair point. I'm trying to decide whether or not to rewrite my batch encoding script to use ffmpeg vs using mplayer to do resize/crop and then x264 to encode. Hoping ffmpeg might make it a bit easier to deal with deinterlacing...
    Well, I can't really comment on filtering, as for that I'd actually use AviSynth via Wine and then pipe out of Wine to the encoding program using avs2yuv or the like.

You might want to also take a look at the -vo-lavc branch of MPlayer2. There's still some things mencoder can do that it can't, but those might be relatively minor in comparison.

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm... OK, I'm getting a problem when trying to get ffmpeg to use multithreading. I set -threads 0, but am getting an error "automatic thread number detection not supported by codec". Thoughts?

Actual command is:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mkv -acodec libx264 -crf 22 -level 41 -preset slow -vf crop=720:352:0:62 -acodec copy -threads 0 output.mkv

Beans

Change "-acodec libx264" to "-vcodec libx264".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Change "-acodec libx264" to "-vcodec libx264".

I feel like a moron now. Many thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro

OK, another question... Is there any way to reduce the amount of data that ffmpeg is outputting to the shell? For example, it's printing out all of the chapters to the shell. I've tried -loglevel quiet, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

OK, another question... Is there any way to reduce the amount of data that ffmpeg is outputting to the shell? For example, it's printing out all of the chapters to the shell. I've tried -loglevel quiet, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.
    The verbosity level is adjusted with the -v option. It doesn't seem to have an effect on the source file data readout, though, just the output logging.
    Last edited by qyot27; May 6th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
    The verbosity level is adjusted with the -v option.
    Many thanks, that's what I was looking for!

Beans

FakeOutdoorsman, is it ok to place the link to this tutorial (with the first post copied, only), to make this tutorial available on our forum too?

We are creating an "official" (if you can even call it like that) FFmpeg forum, so we would like to have your tutorial there if you would allow that.

The link to the copied tutorial would be this: http://forum.ffmpeg.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4
    If you don't agree to such thing, we will delete that copy.

EDIT: forum.ffmpeg.org is not yet in the function, you can use this instead: http://ffmpeg.test-lab.ch/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4
    You can always find me at: irc://irc.freenode.net/ffmpeg if you need.
    Last edited by burek021; May 8th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Page 168 of 236 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218 ... LastLast