Page 13 of 241 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    So, basically I'm no help. Have you tried again with the most recent x264 and ffmpeg? Make sure to refer to the "Updating Your Installation" section of the tutorial.
    See my post a few posts up. I just compiled and installed x264, ffmpeg, and mplayer this morning using the config lines I posted. Everything is working fine here.

FYI. In the latest ffmpeg version the "-me" command line parameter has changed to "-me_method".
    Last edited by mocha; September 29th, 2008 at 01:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    SMPlayer sounds interesting. Do you usually use aptitude, apt, or Synaptic? Each has it's own way of "locking" a program version and they don't always listen to each other, so if you lock something in aptitude it still might want to upgrade in apt and Synaptic. Although Synaptic and apt should work well together I think.
    Hey I got it working I was doing it wrong, what I did I put on hold all my updates, so my system was not upgrading properly.

I was a Gentoo freak, so I'm used to doing manual stuff. I used to "fine tune" my laptop to the point that all the system was running with the bleeding edge and all compiled for my processor and stuff. Well, I left Gentoo for server setups and changed to Ubuntu on my laptop after 5 years, because "it just works" is what I need. Well I see that some stuff you still need to do manually on Ubuntu. Well even on Mac OS X right?

Ok, I did the "Reverting Changes Made by This Tutorial" steps and deinstalled Avidemux again. My system was clean, and started this howto all over. When the Synaptic updates daemon told me there were "downgrades" for x264, ffmpeg and Avidemux, I opened synaptic (im using that) and I searched for each one of them, and blocked their versions. That did it.

I would advice you specify this "package blocking" as step #7 if you like, for Ubuntu newbies like me. For fixing the mess I did I had to "learn" to use Aptitude, because Synaptic stopped responding. It seems Aptitude is more powerful than Synaptic for some tasks. For not going into many details, just after doing this howto, go immediately to Synaptic, search for ffmpeg, x264, avidemux and avidemux-common, and block their versions.

Also, a good way to start this HOWTO is by removing first ffmpeg and x264 with all dependencies, any programs that might use them with Synaptic. If you are planning on using Avidemux, make sure you FIRST install mplayer or SMPlayer, which installs Mencoder and all utilities for Avidemux to use. If you want to "clean" it more, execute also the "Reverting Changes Made by This Tutorial" commands, and then start it for the beginning.

My laptop is working great now. This should just work on a Ubuntu 8.04 LTS by following the steps.

Thanks for sharing this howto.
    Last edited by piratec; September 29th, 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll update the tutorial this weekend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Many thanks for this I finally found the time and the "balls" to give this a go.

findings of a newbie scaredycat

step 1 'uninstall x264 and ffmpeg'.. ok Im assuming apt-get remove x264 etc is the same thing?

step 3 Yasm
    "sudo checkinstall"
    ok its asking me
    Code:
     sudo checkinstall

checkinstall 1.6.1, Copyright 2002 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
               This software is released under the GNU GPL.

The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist. 
    Should I create a default set of package docs?  [y]: y

Preparing package documentation...OK

Please write a description for the package.
    End your description with an empty line or EOF.
    ummm Im lost? for the record I typed in yasmhelp
    it created a deb file
    Code:
    Done. The new package has been installed and saved to

/home/mark/yasm-0.7.1/yasm_0.7.1-1_i386.deb

You can remove it from your system anytime using: 

dpkg -r yasm
    so what do I do now? i understand it as saying its installed so I guess I just go on to step 4

Step4- similar understanding

Step 6-the wheel falls off?
    svn ffmpeg works untill...
    Code:
    Fetching external item into 'ffmpeg/libswscale'
    svn: Unknown hostname 'svn.mplayerhq.hu'
    and thuis the ./configure fails because libswscale is missing

at this point I go to bed
    what to do next?

ahh but b4 i do i tried
    Code:
    git clone git://git.mplayerhq.hu/libswscale/
    then ./configure.......etc

which worked up untill
    Code:
    libavcodec/libx264.c: In function ‘X264_init’:
    libavcodec/libx264.c:230: error: ‘struct <anonymous>’ has no member named ‘b_bidir_me’
    libavcodec/libx264.c:231: error: ‘struct <anonymous>’ has no member named ‘b_bframe_rdo’
    make: *** [libavcodec/libx264.o] Error 1
    now I am lost
    Last edited by vector; October 2nd, 2008 at 02:02 PM.

Beans

Don't worry, I have come to the same thing. Its the latest svn so I think its just broken.

libx264.c
    libavcodec/libx264.c: In function ‘X264_init’:
    libavcodec/libx264.c:230: error: ‘struct <anonymous>’ has no member named ‘b_bidir_me’
    libavcodec/libx264.c:231: error: ‘struct <anonymous>’ has no member named ‘b_bframe_rdo’
    make: *** [libavcodec/libx264.o] Error 1

Beans

either ffmpeg libx264.c is borked or its the x264 thats broken, im going to try and use an earlier snapshot of x264 and try compiling ffmpeg again.

Beans

x264 updated its API, ffmpeg hasn't updated its libx264.c to compensate. Either fix ffmpeg's libx264.c (patch is available on the ffmpeg-devel ML as "[FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] Update ffmpeg for libx264 core 65"), bug Michael or mru repeatedly until he fixes it, just go there and drop the two problematic lines of C code yourself, or use a version of x264 before r996.

The way the API change affects the commandline options you should use is detailed here.
    Last edited by Dark Shikari; October 2nd, 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Beans

Update...
    removed my x254 install and grabbed the latest snapshot (as opposed to an earlier one, was updated last night) x264-snapshot-20081001. Compiled and installed x264 and then compiled latest svn ffmpeg... compiled fine and im encoding something as we speak. See how it goes.

ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/x264/snapshots/
    Last edited by zcold; October 2nd, 2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: update

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikko.ohtamaa View Post
    FFMPEG trunk is not stable, please use revision 15261.

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/
    ffmpeg won't work with x264 then, since I have frequently updated the x264 API recently, so I doubt older ffmpegs will work.

Also, the trunk of ffmpeg is perpetually stable; there is no separate "stable version", contrary to what Debian, Ubuntu, and most Linux distros seem to think sometimes

(of course, this doesn't mean things don't break, it just means that there is nothing more stable than the main branch)

Page 13 of 241 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast