Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Hi fakeoutdoorsman

I saw your reply at post #1263 above.
    Today when I tried to update ffmpeg from version SVN-r24802 I had the same config error libmp3lame >=3.98 not found.

I went back to the beginning of the thread and installed lame-ffmpeg v3.98.4 following step 5.
    This has definitely installed lame-ffmpeg in Synaptic, but I still got the config error.
    I don't really understand what good this has done.

Since then I've downloaded and installed libmp3lame0_3.98.4-0.0_i386.deb and libmp3lame-dev_3.98.4-0.0_i386.deb
    From here:-http://debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/l/lame/lame.php"]http://debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/l/lame/lame.php"]http://debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/l/lame/lame.php

Now ffmpeg has compiled OK.

Please will you explain about step 5.

ron@ubuntu:~$ ffmpeg -h
    FFmpeg version SVN-r25140, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
    built on Sep 17 2010 16:11:20 with gcc 4.4.1
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab --disable-encoder=vorbis

This has definitely installed lame-ffmpeg in Synaptic, but I still got the config error.
    Even though /usr/local usually trumps /usr. in this case make sure the you've uninstalled the previous libmp3lame-dev package

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK mc4man

But now I have got installed:-
    lame-3.98.4-0
    lame-ffmpeg-3.98.4-1
    libmp3lame0-3.98.4-0
    libmp3lame-dev-3.98.4-0

So is that package lame-ffmpeg-3.98.4-1 now redundant?
    If I un-install it will ffmpeg work OK using those other packages instead?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ron999 View Post
    Please will you explain about step 5.
    I needed to add LAME compilation because a recent FFmpeg revision requires a LAME that is newer than what is available in the repository. Note that I have not tested anything on Karmic yet, but I doubt it would be much different. I'm not sure why it did not work for you, but I'll fire up the Karmic VM and try it there too.

I'd be careful using stuff from debian-multimedia. Just keep in mind that you have packages from there if things go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Even though /usr/local usually trumps /usr. in this case make sure the you've uninstalled the previous libmp3lame-dev package
    For Lucid, I made sure that I left the previous libmp3lame-dev from the repository to see if it would interfere with the installation, but it did not seem to, so I didn't add any note to remove it although it's probably a good idea. I'll add that to the guide.

Beans

Karmic guide updated. There are a few differences with Karmic compared to Lucid:
    • I had to remove --enable-nasm from the LAME ./configure or I would encounter make errors.
    • libmp3lame-dev interferes with LAME detection when running ./configure in FFmpeg.

There are a few differences with Karmic
    That's what I also noticed, had tried the lame deal on karmic to match what what Ron was using.
    I'd be careful using stuff from debian-multimedia..

Extremely good advice, the lame packages (at current builds) are probably ok, if they're updated I'd be wary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Right thanks.
    I'll stay with these Debian packages for now then.
    If I hit any problems I'll revert to the repo versions and lame-ffmpeg.

Beans

I seemed to install the qt-faststart fine, but I get an error when I try to run it:

sh: qt-faststart: not found

I'm sure it is simple issue, but I don't know what to do about it. Is the installation instructions assuming we know how to make qt-faststart executable from any directory? Or does it assume I am in a particular directory? How do I get it to know where to find it?

Beans

The old libx264 presets have been removed today from FFmpeg SVN which include: default, fastfirstpass, hq, max, normal, and slowfirstpass.

If you were using one of these presets and want to update FFmpeg, then you will need to use one of the newer presets that are modeled after the official x264 presets.

You can see what presets that are available to you in the /usr/local/share/ffmpeg directory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spacechampion View Post
    I seemed to install the qt-faststart fine, but I get an error when I try to run it:

sh: qt-faststart: not found

I'm sure it is simple issue, but I don't know what to do about it. Is the installation instructions assuming we know how to make qt-faststart executable from any directory? Or does it assume I am in a particular directory? How do I get it to know where to find it?
    Are you using Ubuntu? If yes, what version are you using? I would expect to see bash, not sh. qt-faststart should be executable from any directory if it installed correctly.
    Code:
    $ whereis qt-faststart
    qt-faststart: /usr/local/bin/qt-faststart

Page 128 of 240 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast