Hi qyot,

Quote Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
Both worked, thanks. Is there any benefit for using the sed method over the one with cut?
I guess what you would look for is the ever-present possibility of the FFmpeg developers changing the syntax and decide on a variation that might accommodate this.

Also, x264 always installs and gets listed fine, but apt put ffmpeg under the auto removable category. Which is somewhat annoying. Is that from a package numbering issue (which I hope can be resolved) or just an inherent thing?
I see the problem. The Jaunty Ubuntu repository version is in fact labelled by date --> 3:0.svn20090303-1ubuntu6 not by revision number. It depends how keen you are to use revision numbers, you may have to play with the initial 3:0 numbers...

Note: the first time I tried to install I used the cut method, but during the process everything locked up completely and I was forced to reboot, which canceled the installation. The sed method was the one that completed the install successfully, and then I noticed the auto removable thing. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, though.
I am afraid I am not entirely sure what that is all about, both techniques produce the same end result.

All the best,

Andrew