Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Threaded View

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Your FFmpeg configure line is missing --enable-libmp3lame. This is required if you want to encode mp3, although the error message could be improved. I assume you followed the 10.04 version of the guide and skipped step 5 or simply omitted the instructions to add --enable-libmp3lame. This happens on occasion, and I will consider changing the guide because I feel that note about adding --enable-libmp3lame is often ignored or overlooked.

What you can do:
    • Recompile ffmpeg and follow step 5,
    • Or Pipe from ffmpeg to LAME,
    • Or uninstall your compiled ffmpeg and install it from the repository instead

If you're impatient just install lame:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lame
    Then pipe the audio from ffmpeg to lame:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -f wav - | lame - output.mp3
    Or install ffmpeg from the repository and enable the mp3 encoder. It's easy to do since you'll just need to install two packages and is described under Option B here:

HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoders in FFmpeg

Then you can use your same command from post #1950, but I recommend adding -aq 4 to improve the quality of the output because the default settings use an unusually low bitrate (64 kilobits/s [but maybe default is 128k now]) for most purposes.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; November 24th, 2011 at 09:21 PM.