Thread: best 12" laptop for Linux?

Beans

best 12" laptop for Linux?

Like the title says, folks weigh in with your recommendations for the best 12" laptop for me to buy next.
    I have a 2.0 Black Macbook and from what I hear it's not that great for Ubuntu, and to tell you all the truth, I'm really not that impressed with OS X 10.5 and they've really butchered the *nix underneath to the point it's hard to even do things like manage groups.

Thanks all,
    - Kodiak

Beans

Re: best 12" laptop for Linux?

How much are you looking to spend on the laptop?

The Dell Vostro 1200's seem fairly nice, and don't look horribly over-priced for their specs.

Lenovo also has a few nice 12.1" laptops, but are probably a bit more expensive than the Vostros.

Eller

Beans

I have a Lenovo X60 tablet and I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it previously. I had a couple of problems. First, it was difficult to get my audio working. I had to do a lot of searching in several different places to find a fix that worked - but even that was temporary. I had to edit my xorg.conf with a few extra lines. This leads to the next point: the wacom tablet pc functionality. You might not be looking for a tablet. If not, then this will not be an issue for you.

The tablet function of the X60 did not work "out of the box." I had to find another fix for this, and edit my xorg.conf again. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem AND it broke the audio again. I eventually gave up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a Clevo m520n 12" which cost around £550 a year ago. Everything works fine on it apart from the integrated webcam (still working on a solution for that one) and the Realtek ALC833 (INTEL HDA Audio) needs Alsamixer to get headphone out. The matshita drive crapped out about 6 months after purchase, but I expect that, every Matshita laptop drive I've ever owned has failed pretty quickly. I bought an LG replacement for around £25 and it's been great since. Other than that it's been a solid laptop, looks pretty good too.

Currently running Ubuntu 8.04 with no major problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got a Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet. Installed Hardy Heron on it, tablet works after a bit of tweaking. It cost £640, but no bluetooth, ah well.