Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update Manager dead and strange 20-second delay launching apps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Update Manager dead and strange 20-second delay launching apps

what did now cause the application startup delay?

Btw, interesting homepage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

>what did now cause the application startup delay?

Well, when I fixed the /etc/hosts file, the offline delay went away too.

I imagine that every time I launch terminal, vim, etc, it must look up something on the host 'john' (my machine). With the 127.0.1.1 entry in hosts changed to john.<domain>, it must have thought it needed to do a dns lookup somewhere else, because it could no longer find plain 'john' in /etc/hosts. Online it fails to find 'john' in the network dns server (hence the complaint); offline it times out after 20 seconds, I presume looking for a dns server. (gvim must look up two different things)

That's my best guess; I don't really know too much about networking. In any case, it's fixed.

I've figured out that the /etc/hosts change was my stupid fault, when looking in System / Administration / Network / General / Host Settings. Being formerly addicted to Windows, I had a momentary regression to brain meltdown mode and put the Windows "domain" of my home network in there. I didn't realise that putting in a domain would wreck the machine (on Windoze, it never hurts, and sometimes helps).

The ironic thing is that Ubuntu connects to my home Windows network more reliably than the machine did when it was actually running Windows! (Hence my obsession with always trying to "help" the machine recognise the Windows network ...)

>Btw, interesting homepage

Thanks mate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by John Costella View Post
    Yes! That was it exactly. Many thanks.

(I don't know how to change the header of this thread to "solved"; have tried before but failed ...)

John
    Another new feature.

If you edit your first post, go advanced you can pop solved at the beginning of the title. I hope they get this feature back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK, I did that, and it changed the title of the first post, but not the title of the thread as shown in the forum itself.

Maybe I can't do that ...

Thanks
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12