Thread: Remote Desktop/Folder Access...via the Web???

Beans

Remote Desktop/Folder Access...via the Web???

Anyone ever hear of SoonR or Avvenu? Both let you install a program that runs in the background/system tray that allows you to link folders to it so I can sign in from their website and access those folders. Those were neat programs for Windows, but I can find nothing that will let me do that for Ubuntu. Does anyone know of a program or a workaround that I can get something similar set up in Ubuntu? Web access is a must.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by petrafan007; May 7th, 2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: emphasized web access

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Remote Desktop/Folder Access...via the Web???

just install an ssh server on the computer you want to access and then install putty or another ssh client on the computer you want to access them from.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

I am aware of this option but what I need is a way to access a file or folder over the web. Example: at work, where I can't install anything on the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ssh allows you to do this. Its called scp and it is installed along with ssh. If by "over the web" you mean through firefox that is different. I personally prefer using an ssh client so I am not familar with broswer based remote clients.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

how about ftp? .. and for remote desktop access you can use the remote desktop feature itself(System->preferences->remote desktop).. you might have to open port 3389 or 5900 ..

Beans

This is exactly what you are looking for -

https://www.browsershell.com

Uses SSL to SSH and they don't store anything about your server so so perfectly secure.

Enjoy.

John.