Thread: qemu networking - is there a howto?

Exclamation qemu networking - is there a howto?

hi,

i have installed ubuntu hardy and qemu and kqemu. i have created a couple of VM and i am now looking to find out how network these machines.
    i used qemulator to create my VMs, and i do understand how TAP connectors work.
    i suppose in future GUI applications for qemu will provide a more user-friendly interface for working with their networking but for the moment it is necessary to do it manually.

many thanks for all assistance.

regards,

Nicolas
    computers are not that important, they just help us finish work earlier; allowing us more time to enjoy the really important stuff.
    www.brainpowered.net
    supporting Open-Source in Europe. Business Intelligence, Talend ETL services

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: qemu networking - is there a howto?

Thanks,

i have followed the information on that page but it now causes troubles when i suspend my laptop.
    i believe the problem is to do with the bridge interface that i created on the /etc/network/interfaces.

would there be anything that i can do to setup the networking for VMs on a laptop?

Many thanks,

Nicolas
    computers are not that important, they just help us finish work earlier; allowing us more time to enjoy the really important stuff.
    www.brainpowered.net
    supporting Open-Source in Europe. Business Intelligence, Talend ETL services

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah, I just remembered, running kvm module causes suspend problem.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/113038

Workaround:
    Instead of adding kvm into /etc/modules (so it's permanently loaded), use modprobe to load and unload the module as needed.

EDIT:
    Networking part is complicated thing, but it's possible. The howto gives a comprehensive instructions, but you will need to read carefully and thoroughly understand the options.
    Last edited by chewearn; May 8th, 2008 at 05:19 PM.