Thread: Asus Asus EN9600GT + Asus M2NPV-VM = no signal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Asus Asus EN9600GT + Asus M2NPV-VM = no signal

After my birthday(which was yesterday ) I discovered that I had a lot of money. I've always wanted to upgrade my system, my graphicscard is an onboard Geforce 6150 and I've just got 1GB DDR2 RAM.
    This morning I decided to buy an Asus EN9600GT with 512MB DDR3 RAM. Later on I wanted to buy more memory with the remaining money.

But after I plugged it into my motherboard(an Asus M2NPV-VM) and connected all the cables, which costed me 1(of 2) PCI slot(blocked by the fan), two power connectors for disk-drives/IDE harddisks(goodbye and one blocked IDE input I was ready to try it. But when I connected my monitor it told me that it didn't get a signal. Whatever I tried, no matter how good I looked into the BIOS(where I couldn't find any option that made it work), it still didn't give any signal. So I had to bring it back. Fortunately I got my money back, but now I don't have this new card!

I think it was caused by this: the card I bought uses PCI Express 2.0, but my motherboard has one PCIe x16 slot, and supports just PCI Express 1. Officially PCIe 2.0 should be backwards compatible, but there are a lot of reports of several cases where it didn't work.

I've posted this message to warn you and to ask you for help. I still want to buy a new graphics card, but I'm afraid that in order to get the 9600GT working I need to buy a new motherboard. But when I do that I'll have to save again before I can get new RAM. Do you think that I forgot something? Is there a magical hidden switch in the BIOS? Did you have the same problem? Do you want to say something comforting to me? ()

Thank you in advance for possible answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Asus Asus EN9600GT + Asus M2NPV-VM = no signal

i'm not sure if the pci express 2.0 is your problem. it could be but im running a leadtek 9600gt on a abit an-52 motherboard. i was worried the same as you, but it works. mine wasnt working at first because i was dumb and forgot to plug in the power supply connector to the card. duh right. after that it was just a matter of getting the drivers installed. i just wonder if you card wasnt getting enough power. what size power supply do u have?