Thread: Heron DVD playback problems

Beans

Heron DVD playback problems

I'm having a problem with my laptop playing DVDs since the upgrade to Heron and I want to know if anyone has had anything similar. I watch a DVD on this thing just about once a night, and this has only started since I upgraded.

Where I watch my movies, I'm required to pause them regularly and turn my attention to something else and in that time, the DVD spins down and the drive goes idle. Last night, while watching Daywatch, I unpaused Kaffeine and the sound cut out of the movie. What followed was one of the hardest lock ups I've ever had in Ubuntu (I had to restart X). A second time, my drive started howling and making other horrid noises. This time, I only had to shut down Kaffeine and eject the disc, but it made me fear for my drive. Lastly, I got another lock up, but it was much easier to deal with.

I may be alone in this as I pause and unpause my movies so much, but doesn't anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? After the drive howlings, I started Kaffeine in terminal and shunted stderr into a file, but the last crash seemed too tame to give any diagnostically useful information.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Heron DVD playback problems

I've been unable to play dvd's at all on my DV2710us under linux any way. for me it's a codex problem i'm sure, you... might need another dirve.

Beans

Re: Heron DVD playback problems

Who knows? I might now, but it worked without problems in every other OS. I'll have to try and reproduce the problem so I can file a bug report.