Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Automount NTFS Drives

Beans

Re: HowTo: Automount NTFS Drives

What should be the mount point for the nfts-partition? I can't press apply when I put in "/media/windows"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    I've never had to do anything special to mount my NTFS partition. I just have a line in my fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/sda4       /windows        ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46,noatime   0       0
    could you elaborate on what you did there? mostly, what each of the columns is for so I can try it -- never edited fstab before

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've found that if the directory already exists, ntfs-config doesn't play nice, for example I manually mounted my windows partition to /media/Vista, THEN installed ntfs-config.

Turns out I had to remove the /media/Vista directory before it could continue.

Naturally, the directory name will be different for everybody I would assume

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I gave you a thanks down here because it wouldnt let me on the OP.

This app helped me stay away from getting my hands dirty with fstab- which generally is a bad thing to me. But since this computer is the one that has to work "perfect" (its a family pc) then I have to do things safely.

Im gonna hack the crap outta my laptop tho.

Again thanks zillions.

Oh and a word of advice to some ppls out there, if you cant mount an NTFS drive, try chkdsk /f in windows first. I did it twice on each drive (1: 300gb, 2:500gb so it took a while). But it was worth it. Now my drives run like...harddrives that run...i guess. And now they automount! w00t!!111one

Power to the People!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by crazyness003 View Post
    I gave you a thanks down here because it wouldnt let me on the OP.

This app helped me stay away from getting my hands dirty with fstab- which generally is a bad thing to me. But since this computer is the one that has to work "perfect" (its a family pc) then I have to do things safely.

Im gonna hack the crap outta my laptop tho.

Again thanks zillions.

Oh and a word of advice to some ppls out there, if you cant mount an NTFS drive, try chkdsk /f in windows first. I did it twice on each drive (1: 300gb, 2:500gb so it took a while). But it was worth it. Now my drives run like...harddrives that run...i guess. And now they automount! w00t!!111one

Power to the People!
    Glad it helped you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thank you for this post. I was trying to manually edit the fstab, and this does it all automatically, at startup, so it did what I needed! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Thank you for this post. I was trying to manually edit the fstab, and this does it all automatically, at startup, so it did what I needed! Thanks!
    Thanks to this - I've never yet had to edit fstab That's why I love it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the help on this one, I was having a bit of trouble getting my uuid recognized in fstab, apparently I was getting ahead of myself on that front it, and should have just copied and pasted the mount location information direct from the properties dialog. thanks again for this easy tuts make life... well easy!
    Last edited by tvtech; November 8th, 2008 at 04:33 PM.
    Asus M70vm-C1 intel 5100 abgn nvidia 9600GS intel 2.53gig centrino2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Easy is the way forward Either that or I'm lazy

Beans

Thanks Joeb454, I was looking for something to let me know if I had edited my fstab correctly before making it permanent until I found this thread. By the way NTFS-config is standard in ultimate edition 2.0.

And just to make it clear for others. The drive must be unmounted and if you created a folder in /media for it already you need to remove that folder first before using ntfs-config as it will try to create the folder.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast