Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong: can't successfully install Mythbuntu

Beans

Re: What am I doing wrong: can't successfully install Mythbuntu

The remote I have is the WinTV 2000H and I wasn't sure what transmitter to choose (I assumed the transmitter is the IR device that plugs into the card to receive the remote signals), so I selected Custom and used the generic transmitters.xxxx (sorry, I can't remember the extension off the top of my head).

Should I install again excluding both the remote and transmitter or just the transmitter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Juggler View Post

If I reboot and take out the bootable CD, it goes through the whole splash screen but then I get the following:

Code:
    Starting up...
    Loading, please wait...
    kinit: name_to_dev_t (/dev/disk/by-uuid/b4626e4c-0678-422f-81cc-e8398a0feb5d) = sda5(8,5)
    kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/b4626e4c-0687-422f-81cc-e8398a0feb5d
    kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

Ubuntu 8.04 dell-desktop tty1

dell-desktop login:
    This thread is pertinent to my interests. I had the same install problem on a machine I've been trying to set up. It's older equipment (for a frontend) and i can't help but wonder if that might be part of the problem. Well, at least until I read a few threads this morning and see that others are having problems as well.

In regular 8.04 with MythTV frontend installed, it locks/crashes whenever I try to play something from the backend. Last night, I installed Mythbuntu with the above error.

As for the "Out of Range" error someone mentioned above, this is something that solved that error for me in the past: http://www.hotubuntunews.com/blog_3.shtml

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have solved my issues. I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04, then installed Mythbuntu through the Control Center. I had had some networking errors, but that actually seemed to be caused by the ATI driver - but that's another story. The important part is: My entire myth network is now up and running.

Beans

Excluding the IR Transmitter from my install solved the issue of not being able to configure MythTV and the whole inability to sign in issue.

I've spent all night getting my Broadcom 4318 wireless card working...

Next is getting my HDTV to display to work...

Then is actually setting up MythTV and my capture card...

As great as it is to get something working, sometimes these things can get a bit overwhelming.

Marking thread as solved (oops, I would if I could), and thank you, Superm1!
    Last edited by Crusty Juggler; May 11th, 2008 at 11:23 AM.

Beans

Angry Re: What am I doing wrong: can't successfully install Mythbuntu

ozybushwalker, doesn't look like anyone addressed your post about not being able to install 8.04 on a machine where 7.10 worked. You have VIA C3 processors in both of your machines. I too had a machine with a C3 processor which ran 7.10 just fine, and would install 8.04, but not run it. Seems there's a *feature* in the code as compiled in 8.04. Google VIA C3 and CMOV, and you can read all about it. But basically, Intel included an OPTIONAL instruction (CMOV, or conditional move) in their 686 instruction set, and VIA opted not to implement it (it is optional, after all). The GCC compilers, when run with 686 optimization flags set, don't include additional logic to check for the availability of this instruction before trying to call it. It just assumes all 686-compatible processors will have it. The cpu does, in fact, report that the instruction is not available, but code compiled with 686 flags doesn't check, and so the code abends.

You can still "roll your own" by pulling down the Myth source and compiling on your own, sans optimization flags, but Mythbuntu 8.04 as compiled and delivered, won't work on your C3. Bummer, I know. I love these chips, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12