Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardy+nvidia - not working through reboot

Beans

Re: Hardy+nvidia - not working through reboot

OK, I'm all sorted now. Looks like the problem was my fault too - I'd inadvertently (it was late, I was tired ) installed an unnecessary kernel module which seems to have caused some kernel mayhem somewhere!

So what I did was make a list (from Synaptic) of all the packages installed on my identical working Hardy box, searching on the keywords "nvidia" and "kernel". Then I installed/uninstalled whatever was necessary on my problem Hardy box to match this. Then I copied across my xorg.conf again, and after a couple of reboots and some more fiddling with screen resolution and hardware settings, everything is working fine again. A bit of a long-winded way to go about things, but it got me there in the end....
    Last edited by itsjustarumour; May 12th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Well, at least I know it's not just me. I'll broaden my searches to see what I can dig up.
    OK, I spoke too soon Been working for a couple of hours, rebooted and back to square 1 - minimum 640x480 resolution What is going on?????
    Last edited by itsjustarumour; May 12th, 2008 at 04:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Use the following linbk:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=1#post4908847

it is still working after several days now - no probs.
    You do what? Are you crazy!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by briandu View Post
    Use the following linbk:

OK, downloaded the driver from the NVidia site and now all working OK again. Thanks Briandu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Dear X-

I have tried these gents' fixes -to no avail. I will keep an eye out, too - let me know....

Does anyone know how to debug/troubleshoot the exact cause here?

Thanks,
    X

Beans

Use the following linbk:

That's actually the 2nd time your post has been linked to in this thread. However, this time (it's like the 20th time reading it for me), I caught something from it:
    downloaded the NVIDIA driver - I used 173.08 from the archives.
    I remembered seeing that I was using 169.something, which made me curious. If you take a look at the Unix drivers page, it lists 169.12 as the latest version, which is what I had been using. However, on this page, you can download 173.08, which is a beta version. And guess what? That one worked for me! Amazing!

It probably has something to do with the last line in the release notes:
    Restored compatibility with recent Linux 2.6 kernels.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    That's actually the 2nd time your post has been linked to in this thread. However, this time (it's like the 20th time reading it for me), I caught something from it:

I remembered seeing that I was using 169.something, which made me curious. If you take a look at the Unix drivers page, it lists 169.12 as the latest version, which is what I had been using. However, on this page, you can download 173.08, which is a beta version. And guess what? That one worked for me! Amazing!

It probably has something to do with the last line in the release notes:
    Good to see you got that cleared up. I was a bit wary of installing the 173.08 driver as it was described as "beta", but everything is still working fine so far as far as I can tell...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am using the 96._..driver as I have and older GeForce4 chipset. Anyone been able to make this one work?

-X

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xizorbg View Post
    I am using the 96._..driver as I have and older GeForce4 chipset. Anyone been able to make this one work?

-X
    Hmm, that driver page has the same "Improved compatibility with recent Linux 2.6 kernels." note. That said, even though NVIDIA directs me to that page when I say I have a Geforce4 series card, I don't see any of those listed on the compatability page, since it seems to use the same page for all the drivers. I don't suppose you've tried using a newer one?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustarumour View Post
    Good to see you got that cleared up. I was a bit wary of installing the 173.08 driver as it was described as "beta", but everything is still working fine so far as far as I can tell...
    Spoke too soon, today's updates broke this for me again. Back to stage one, 800x600...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast