Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardy+nvidia - not working through reboot

Beans

Hardy+nvidia - not working through reboot

I know that the forums are full of this, but I haven't been able to find anything to get me to a complete solution yet. Standard "upgraded to Hardy, now nvidia driver doesn't let me boot into X" problem.

When running nvidia-xconfig or in any way enabling the nvidia driver, X would not start. After removing the nvidia-glx-new package and installing from the file from nvidia's site, I can run startx just fine and everything's dandy. Problem is, it no longer works when I reboot, and I have to reinstall the driver. I've tried stopping kdm first and relinking the gcc, g++ and cpp symlinks to the 4.1 versions (instead of 4.2), since the installer warned me about using a different version than my kernal was compiled with. Neither of those has worked. I've also tried installing nvidia-glx immediately afterwards, to no avail.

EDIT: BTW, envy doesn't work either.

EDIT2: Someone on IRC told me to add nvidia to my /etc/modules list, but that also failed to produce the desired effect.
    Last edited by Xiong Chiamiov; May 7th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Re: Hardy+nvidia - not working through reboot

bump
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Hidden!

You do what? Are you crazy!

Beans

Thank you. However, you'll notice by reading my post that, aside from deleting the restricted modules directly (which did not help, btw), those were the steps I had already taken. Of course, since I'm using Kubuntu, I stopped kdm, rather than gdm, but that is an insignificant detail.

Beans

bump.

Thinking about filing something on launchpad.

Beans

one last bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

X-

Same problem here. Got it working thru restarting X - but system still asks me to restart and poof! away goes my logo, res, and rotation.

Certainly count me in for any resolutions.

BTW, I am using amd64 ver.

Take care,
    X

Beans

Same here on 32-bit.

Whats going on????

Beans

Well, at least I know it's not just me. I'll broaden my searches to see what I can dig up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Well, at least I know it's not just me. I'll broaden my searches to see what I can dig up.
    I was originally getting the same problems as you, but now I'm not sure what my problem is, although I did get a new monitor 2 days ago with a 1920x1200 resolution instead of 1600x1200. The new monitor wasn't properly recognised by Ubuntu, and it was whilst I was "fiddling" to try and get the resolution and refresh rate etc configured correctly that I "broke" my system. Right now, I only have 800x600 resolution... I have a hunch its something to do with kernel modules but I've checked and compared this installation with another identical Hardy installation on another box, and according to Synaptic I have all the same packages installed. The "Hardware Drivers - Configure 3rd party and proprietary hardware drivers" utility tells me that my Nvidia driver is now installed and in use, but I still can't find any screen resolution settings bigger than 800x600. I've also tried copying my xorg.conf from the correctly-working box to this one, but still no joy...
    Last edited by itsjustarumour; May 12th, 2008 at 09:27 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast