Thread: Apache or XAMPP publish

Beans

Angry Apache or XAMPP publish

Hello,

im working on a local site using XAMPP. Before publishing it i want my friends to check it out. I dont want to upload it, so i thought id allow them access to my local server. Ive installed apache and all, and it works. When i try localhost, i get the "It works". When i access it using the IP from the "connection information" it also works. But when i use the ip from whatismyip.com (which i think is called the external address) it doesnt work. Ive searched for any tutorials to help me do what i want, couldnt find. I tried giving a friend the ip address from the connection information 10.0.xxx.xxx and he cant connect.

Sorry for the long and confusing post, can i achieve this anyhow?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Apache or XAMPP publish

If you have a router, you will not be able to view the site using that ip unless you set your router to forward port 80 to the computer running Apache.

Beans

i dont have a router, I connect to a wireless network provided by in my apartment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by nesh87 View Post
    i dont have a router, I connect to a wireless network provided by in my apartment.
    That wireless is probably provided via an access point/router owned by the apartment complex. Port forwarding would need to be configured on that device.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

He took the words right out of my mouth.

Beans

If getting access to the router is not an option, you can always pay for hosting. Many places offer really cheap plans ( < $4 / month) for basic needs, and they'll give you shell access, so you can script all your file syncing.