View Poll Results: Do you think propietary games are a good idea?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, propietary games with the game server open sourced is a good idea.

79 84.95%
  • Heck to the no. Open all the way.

14 15.05%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Propietary games for Linux/BSD - Will ye | Nil ye?

Beans

Re: Propietary games for Linux/BSD - Will ye | Nil ye?

Mixed license?

I am not one of those gnu persons but engine and artwork can be separated. I think even RMS approves it.

Makes easier play with diffenrt set of distros.

Beans

I would. Games for pure entertainment may as well be closed. I'd definitely prefer open source 'edutainment' over closed, however.

As for FOSS games, mixed licensing (free engine/interface, closed 'campaign' or 'level' module) would definitely by okay in my books.

The main problems I see is there would need some form of anti-cheat to keep multiplayer clients from making modifications that would give them the advantage (eg; keeps them from seeing invisible players, influence random outcomes, etc

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Well, I would probably solve that by relying on the server to perform all logic in multiplayer games, while the client more or less simply renders what it is given from the server (like a thin client relying on a TLSP server to perform OpenGL acceleration and Compiz-Fusion compositing).

That would make a major hit on the server's performance, but minimize the potential for cheating. (What is the fun in that anyway?)
    Registered Linux user : #470877
    Registered Ubuntu user: # 21928
    My Blog | MySpace Account | Google Group

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How about making the engine open-source? Some fps and rpg games were based on the same engines.
    Remember: With great power comes great current squared times resistance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Speed depends mostly on code optimization, at least in native code such as C/C++. SDL+OpenGL can result in excellent performance that rivals commercial DirectX games. Sauerbraten runs nicely on GNU/Linux on my machine; on the other hand, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, a DirectX game that seems like it could use optimization, is unplayable during battles with many NPC's. I don't think any serious commercial game could be written with PyGame--I mean--what sane program language creates a number array with range() just for numerical for-loops. I tried porting a C++ scrolling background demo to PyGame for fun, and the results were hopelessly terrible, too slow. (Even MiniD, a small scripting language project with only one developer, outperforms Python.)

With that being said, I don't bother too much with PC gaming unless the source code is hack-friendly such as Sauerbraten. I enjoy adding my own features such as bindings to more scripting languages (Lua, MiniD, etc.). But if I cannot do that due to a game's EULA, then I might as well play the game on my new PS3; it's an amazing system that doesn't become obsolete in two weeks after paying $100's to upgrade it (unlike the PC). Oblivion runs beautifully on the PS3, IMO.

Even UT3 for the PS3 (claims that it) can use mods created on the PC, so I really have no serious need for closed source PC games anyway.
    Last edited by the_darkside_986; May 11th, 2008 at 05:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I'm glad you said that. If that is a more prevalent opinion than it seems to be now, then people like you who go ahead and say, "don't invest, it's a waste of money, " will save my bacon from malinvestment on a hopeless crusade.

That said, it seems the overwhelming majority of those who bothered to vote voted their interest in decent native or multi-platform games, with the server engine, client engine, app framework, and libraries released as open source, with the stipulation that reusable code be released in 7 years, or full ROI + 7%, whichever comes first.

Beans
    Distro

My Idea Concerning Hybrid Native Games

I have this idea, and I want to share it despite the possibility of someone running off with it.

Here it is:

The game itself consists of proprietary modules that extend the engine for game-specific functionality, as well as the media (vorbis (for gameplay music), flac (for gameplay FX), speex (for in-game voice chat, as well as the voices of NPCs), and theora (for streaming screen content to tournament audience monitors (I believe that the term is "gameboard," but I really don't know. What does one call the big screen the audience watches to see what is happening in a tournament?), as well as cinematic clips)).

The game engine consists of the core rendering engine, most of the client functionality specific to the genre, and core interfaces to the general game application framework I intend to replace DirectX 10 with.

The Open Game Application Framework, which I hope to code, interfaces with SDL (at least temporarily, until I can get something better, which will be difficult, OpenGL 2.1, OpenAL 1.1 with EAX 5.0 (for when the drivers for X-Fi cards finally come out), and standard a API for a broad range of input devices from controllers to touch screens to Wii remotes. (I'm determined to start a hardware company for the open source community!)

Finally, the reference hardware that I intend to develop, that has full API support, as well as full GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris, *NIX, WinXP/Vista, Mac OS X, and other support.

I may be a small company, but if I tap into enough developing* markets, and do it right, I think I can manage, somehow.

*edit
    Last edited by Xanderfoxx; May 11th, 2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Politically incorect ;-)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just bought world of goo! =]
    Life sux, then you die.

Beans

If I ever had a computer that could run new games good, I'd pay for 'em.
    dnyy in IRC
    #! & ArchLinux
    Last.FM & Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123