Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Apache 2.2.8 IP Adrress

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

[SOLVED] Apache 2.2.8 IP Adrress

Hi. I just set up Apache 2.2.8 on Ubuntu. I have it working so that my html directory is in the home folder. I can navigate to the website by using localhost however I can't get to it using my IP address. So my question is how do I get to it using my IP address.

Beans

Re: Apache 2.2.8 IP Adrress

which IP (Internal or external)? are you behind a router? does your ISP block port 80 if you aren't behind a router?
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro

The External IP (The one I can navigate to from another computer). Yes I am behind a Router (do i need to forward a port?). I have Comcast as my ISP (How can you tell if they block port 80).

Beans

if you are behind a router then you will need to forward a port so the router will pass the request along to the server. before we worry about that, can you load a page on your server locally by using the internal IP address assigned by the router?
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro

Yes, the interal ip (192.168.1.7) is working. I can navigate to my website using the ip adrress.

Beans

ok, so that confirms Apache is working properly. you will need to do some digging on the next part as I don't know alot about routers but in the setup there should be an option on port forwarding. You need to go in that section and forward port 80 to the internal IP of the server machine. Once you do that, try it and see if it works, if it does good to go, if not, might be comcast blocking port 80 (which I think they do if I remember rigth)

Beans
    Distro

Hey it works! I forwarded port 80 and used my external ip and it brought me to my webpage. Thanks!

Beans

glad it is workign, don't forget to mark the thread solved so others will know in the future that you fixed it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You may want to look at dyndns.com - They allow you to have a domain name (sort of) for free, if your router supports dyndns I would definitely recommend it.

For example I have http://www.joeb454.com - which just points to the dyndns address off http://joeb454.selfip.com

Oh and there's a flash game (has sound too) on that page - though it may take a while to load on my 448kbps upload speed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    You may want to look at dyndns.com - They allow you to have a domain name (sort of) for free, if your router supports dyndns I would definitely recommend it.

For example I have http://www.joeb454.com - which just points to the dyndns address off http://joeb454.selfip.com

Oh and there's a flash game (has sound too) on that page - though it may take a while to load on my 448kbps upload speed
    FlashBlock caught it. Saved my browser
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast