Thread: Need help with partition

Beans

Need help with partition

Okay, I've a 300GB drive where I've installed WinXP on 20GB primary partition. About to install Ubuntu using around 10GB and keep the remaining space as a storage NTFS partition.

I read about having the /home partition separate. So I should make a primary partition for / and put /home & swap in an extended partition along with the storage one?

So help... please...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Need help with partition

Last edited by Pumalite; May 7th, 2008 at 02:59 AM.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SafirXP View Post
    ...So I should make a primary partition for / and put /home & swap in an extended partition along with the storage one? ...
    Having /home and your data on separate partitions is a good thing. Do what you want. Having. I have my /home and my data in separate partitions.

I boot to Ubuntu a lot more that I boot XP. So my data partition uses the ext3 file system. If I I used XP more I'd have to think about using NTFS.
    Seems like using NTFS from Linux is a little less trouble that using ext3 from XP.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

See: Resizing a Windows Partition (XP,/,/home,swap):
    http://www.easy-ubuntu-linux.com/res...partition.html

EDIT 1: Choice:
    - Partition 2 -(/) as Primary
    - Partition 3 -(/home) as Logical
    - Partition 4 -(Swap) as Swap

EDIT 2: On http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome there is this information: This guide is for creating a separate /home partition if you already installed Ubuntu without a /home partition (i.e., /home is just a folder inside your / partition). If you have not yet installed Ubuntu but want to create a /home partition before installing (a very good idea, by the way), use this guide:http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p14.htm
    Last edited by ssican; May 8th, 2008 at 08:24 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the help! Yeah I got my basic info from the psychocats website.

Will be installing 8.04 tonight, hopefully tommorow I won't be posting here again about partition problems!