Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Buying a dell xps M1330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Thinking of Buying a dell xps M1330

and I get about 3 hours on the 6-cell, I have currently 2:45 left and charged in 88%, wireless on and brightness almost at lowest level.

Beans

I've got this machine (product Red version) and have upgraded to the Nvidia.

Its excellent, well worth the spend. When I bought it (late 07), we couldn't choose Ubuntu as an option here in the UK, so it came with Vista home premium, but that's no longer in use

I've got the six cell and usually get about 3 hours out of it. I didn't opt for the nine cell due to weight/bulk issues (maybe that was just my perception but I have to cart it around all over the UK).

Beans

Definitely go for intel X3100.
    It runs compiz _very_ well. I mean, I run compiz on another laptop which has the age old 855GM chipset. The old laptop will not play games, but it sure can run compiz. As long as you don't need to play games (which I believe you stated that you don't), then support intel as they support open source.

Also, you will have longer battery life with an intel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is the laptop I plan on getting... this thread was very help ful. How is it from a weight standpoint with the 9-cell battery?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm thinking of the same thing, buying a Toshiba with integrated intel graphics. I wan't to run compiz, but it's also important that it can play hd-movies flawlessly. Is that a problem with intel graphics?

And are you sure it's not blacklisted in Hardy? http://www.realistanew.com/index.php?s=3100
    Last edited by olavjunior; May 18th, 2008 at 09:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You have another option for a graphics card when buying an XPS M1330. The 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M Graphics Card. I haven't heard anything about it though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by olavjunior View Post
    I'm thinking of the same thing, buying a Toshiba with integrated intel graphics. I wan't to run compiz, but it's also important that it can play hd-movies flawlessly. Is that a problem with intel graphics?

And are you sure it's not blacklisted in Hardy? http://www.realistanew.com/index.php?s=3100
    I am 100% certain it's not blacklisted, as I'm using it right now

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nightfrost View Post
    I am 100% certain it's not blacklisted, as I'm using it right now
    Great! But how is it doing on movies? Do I need a seperate card like nvidia to watch hd-movies? I'm using my laptop to watch movies on a projector alot...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by olavjunior View Post
    Great! But how is it doing on movies? Do I need a seperate card like nvidia to watch hd-movies? I'm using my laptop to watch movies on a projector alot...
    That, I do not know. There's a HDMI port on the laptop, but I've never used it, and have no clue how it works under linux. Try google, I'm sure quite a few people running linux have bought this laptop.

Beans
    Distro

I've googled a bit, and it seems that nvidia doesn't support hardware acceleration for playing movies, so it all depends on the cpu. So if that's the case, then I really don't need an nvidia card. Am I right? Feeling totally noobish on this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast