Thread: Screencast on Ubuntu? I've tried many methods and failed.

Screencast on Ubuntu? I've tried many methods and failed.

I have tried to make screencasts using Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) and nothing seem to work just right. Here is what I've been doing (and failing). How do you do it? I've seen plenty of nice Ubuntu screencasts online with sound.

Here is what I've been trying:

Option 1: xvidcap

Installed with apt-get, it segfaulted on first run. I got it to work by
    specifying "--audio no" option, thus no sound. Besides, files produced by xvidcap play too fast: FPS problem?

Option 2: ffmpeg

ffmpeg that comes with Ubuntu is compiled without screen-grabbing module. And I don't want to compile my own - I try not to have a custom-compiled software on my system because it's hard to keep track (and uninstall) it later.

Option 3: gtk-recordmydesktop

This one actually got very close: I got the video and sound working, but the sound was skipping and getting out of sync with video. It appears to be a common problem based on a few google searches I've done. Morever, it records in only OGG which is, of course, useless outside of Linux world. (but I managed it convert it to MPEG4, losing some quality and boosting file size by 30% in proces of doing so)

Option 4: pyvnc2swf
    Works only via VNC. Too sluggish for most practical purposes.

At this point I'm pretty frustrated. How do I make a screen cast on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Screencast on Ubuntu? I've tried many methods and failed.

*bump*

I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Also, xvidcap *always* crashes on my computer, even when running it from the command line as "xvidcap --audio no --gui yes".
    Last edited by Gustavo Narea; May 22nd, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Find out more about Linux and what's wrong with Windows and Mac OS X.
    - Gustavo Narea.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by softtower View Post
    Option 2: ffmpeg

ffmpeg that comes with Ubuntu is compiled without screen-grabbing module. And I don't want to compile my own - I try not to have a custom-compiled software on my system because it's hard to keep track (and uninstall) it later.
    You might want to try ffmpeg. Yesterday I just went through the effort of getting a compiled ffmpeg with x11grab enabled on Ubuntu: ffmpeg recording + hardy not working (worked in feisty)

As for keeping track of custom-compiled software, that's what checkinstall is for. It will make a nice and clean deb package and add your custom install to Synaptic, etc.

Once you get it running you can use something like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/audio -f x11grab -s 800x600 -r 15 -i :0.0 outputvid.avi
    ffmpeg documentation: 2.2 X11 grabbing
    How to Create a Screencast in Ubuntu (old, but has some useful commands)

Beans

Bump! I have a big project I'd like to do and the free software that comes with Ubuntu is perfect for it, but I can't get recordmydesktop to work (or any other screen capture software for that matter).

Is there any other software out there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: Screencast on Ubuntu? I've tried many methods and failed.

I am also searching for this kind of software for screencasting. Are there any better softwares for linux out there>?
    Tusker's Ubuntu Machine
    Nonsense - the Sense within