Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't you think TAR is obsolete?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Don't you think TAR is obsolete?

"Why can't tar be more like $x?"
    Because tar isn't $x.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    Tar is great.

But if I need to archive files, I like to compress them while I'm at it.

And from what I've heard .7z is the best at that for the moment.
    It has the best compression ratio, but it's also one of the slowest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

maybe tar just isnt the best format for your backups. Why not just use zip 7z, rar, ace, or any of those other formats which have 'easier' access to the metadata then tar does?
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by descentspb View Post
    yes, sure, it does not do any compression, but i'm not talking about compression. Tar is great in all its functionality, but when you open a large tar file through the archive manager, you should wait till the system reads all the file to be able to look through the contents. Even in the obsolete zip you can view the contents quickly.
    You are asking the wrong question! When you have just a .gz or .bz2, it's a *single* file, compressed. When you have .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 or just .tar it's a bunch of files archived and *maybe* compressed (if .tar.gz or .tar.bz2). If file-roller is slow on uncompressed tars, that's file-roller's fault. It has *nothing* to do with tar's format.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Almost every major enterprise backup solution still uses tar under the hood. Veritas/symantec, legato, arcserv.. Why? Because tar by itself *NOT* compression, its an archive, and can be line copied incredibly fast. Hardware compression is much more efficient.

If its not broke, don't fix it? Is it obsolete? I dont see how it could be.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

I think the system has to decompress the tar/gz or tar/bz2 file before it can read its contents, hence the wait. Have you tried not compressing your tar files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

.tar.gz has never been slow for me. Even on my 400MHz Celeron.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Hmm. I don't have access to my linux system now, but i've tried to make a tar (without compression) in windows at work, and it seems that a tar without compression is read quickly. So this problem appears when using bz2 or gz compression. I think that it should be dealt with. Maybe it is a problem of the ubuntu archive manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by descentspb View Post
    Hmm. I don't have access to my linux system now, but i've tried to make a tar (without compression) in windows at work, and it seems that a tar without compression is read quickly. So this problem appears when using bz2 or gz compression. I think that it should be dealt with. Maybe it is a problem of the ubuntu archive manager?
    You haven't been reading this thread well. It is meant to be that way. With bz2 and gz, they opted for greater compression ratios over speed. They aren't meant to be fast, they're meant to be great compressors. They got their great compression ratios by compressing everything together, which means that it all has to be uncompressed before you can view it. That isn't something you need, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a demand for high compression at all.

You said yourself that you don't need compression, so you need to just tar without compression.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If this is such a huge issue for you, why don't you compress then tar?

Personally, I'd be mortified if tar went the way of the dodo. The lack of strange metadata structures is its power. Nothing like a corrupted lookup table to ruin your day.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast