Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can see, but can't access, WinXP network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Can see, but can't access, WinXP network

I can confirm that entering the server's IP address works. Any ideas why we can't identify the root problem if such a simple workaround does the trick?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, so I don't know exactly what the problem is here (i.e. why this won't work in Hardy if it does in Gutsy). Anyway, I have found a solution that works for me.

First let me describe the problem I had because there are various problems posted in this thread with little varying details. I could type in smb://IPADRESS/ to view my windows xp shares. I could click on windows network and even enter the MSHOME workgroup. After this though, things used to go awry. Sometimes, I had all my logged on computers listed. Sometimes I didn't. Although, I could NEVER double click on one to view its shares. The sole exception was viewing the samba shares of my own ubuntu machine from the MSHOME workgroup. Also, I could not do smb://netbios-name/ to view the computers' shares - I was forced to use an IPADRESS.

EDIT: I seem to have left out the fact that I have "samba" installed. I tried this on a fresh install without installing samba and it didn't work. So, - in short - install samba also.

Step 1)
    To solve it simply go to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88206

This guy has posted a simple HOWTO to convert the netbios name of a computer (known as the 'Computer Name' in windows) to an ipaddress. For me pinging was very sluggish with the netbios name after this procedure; nevertheless it worked. BTW, I restarted my computer after the install winbind procedure just to be safe .
    EDIT: Note - as dmizer pointed out, wins should be before dns.

P.S. my /etc/nsswitch.conf file did not orginally read
    hosts: files dns
    instead it was
    hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
    so, I created a backup of the file and changed the line to
    hosts: files wins dns mdns4
    Thankfully, nothing seems to be broken after an hour or so

Also, go to Places > Computer now. Type 'smb://netbiosname/' (replace netbiosname with an actual name) and check to see if it works. DON'T TRY DOUBLE-CLICKING FROM THE PLACES > NETWORK GUI YET. This is just to double-check that netbios name resolution works.

Step 2)
    Next, go to the /etc/samba/smb.conf file with your favorite editor. The default samba file will read a line
    ; wins support = no
    Remove the semi-colon (to uncomment it) and change no to yes.

That's it! Restart the samba service by "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" Now go to Places > Network. The computers should be listed inside your workgroup and double-clicking on them should work. If it doesn't, restart your comp. one more time (sorry: windows convert talking here).

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to be detailed and specify my experience since I really don't know why this doesn't already work in Hardy. Out of curiosity, can somebody explain to me why i had to do step 2. Like I said above, I could use smb://netbiosname after step 1. It just still wouldn't work my listing the computers in MSHOME. Also, for me this works in both konqueror and nautilus.
    Last edited by sea_monkey987; July 10th, 2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: forgot to use sudo to restart samba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Another wrinkle: I figured, since I can finally access the network by using the IP, I'd try to set up my network printer, which is hooked up to my WinXP desktop.

I started up the "add new printer" dialog, and whaddaya know, I could browse right to the network printer. So at least some apps can browse the network.

Which isn't to say the printer works. It doesn't, of course. I mean, this is Ubuntu we're talking about, after all. What would a Hardy setup be without dozens of hours of head-bangingly frustrating bugs and incompatibilities?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Took me forever to find it but all I had to do was put
    "guest ok = yes" in one of the shared directory entries in the smb.conf file and restart samba and it works perfectly. So stupid...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sea_monkey987 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, so I don't know exactly what the problem is here (i.e. why this won't work in Hardy if it does in Gutsy). Anyway, I have found a solution that works for me.

First let me describe the problem I had because there are various problems posted in this thread with little varying details. I could type in smb://IPADRESS/ to view my windows xp shares. I could click on windows network and even enter the MSHOME workgroup. After this though, things used to go awry. Sometimes, I had all my logged on computers listed. Sometimes I didn't. Although, I could NEVER double click on one to view its shares. The sole exception was viewing the samba shares of my own ubuntu machine from the MSHOME workgroup. Also, I could do smb://netbios-name/ to view the computers' shares - I was forced to use an IPADRESS.

Step 1)
    To solve it simply go to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88206

This guy has posted a simple HOWTO to convert the netbios name of a computer (known as the 'Computer Name' in windows) to an ipaddress. For me pinging was very sluggish with the netbios name after this procedure; nevertheless it worked. BTW, I restarted my computer after the install winbind procedure just to be safe .

P.S. my /etc/nsswitch.conf file did not orginally read
    hosts: files dns
    instead it was
    hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
    so, I created a backup of the file and changed the line to
    hosts: files wins dns mdns4
    Thankfully, nothing seems to be broken after an hour or so
    Also, go to Places > Computer now. Type 'smb://netbiosname/' (replace netbiosname with an actual name) and check to see if it works. DON'T TRY DOUBLE-CLICKING FROM THE PLACES > NETWORK GUI YET. This is just to double-check that netbios name resolution works.

Step 2)
    Next, go to the /etc/samba/smb.conf file with your favorite editor. The default samba file will read a line
    ; wins support = no
    Remove the semi-colon (to uncomment it) and change no to yes.

That's it! Restart the samba service by "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" Now go to Places > Network. The computers should be listed inside your workgroup and double-clicking on them should work. If it doesn't, restart your comp. one more time (sorry: windows convert talking here).

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to be detailed and specify my experience since I really don't know why this doesn't already work in Hardy. Out of curiosity, can somebody explain to me why i had to do step 2. Like I said above, I could use smb://netbiosname after step 1. It just still wouldn't work my listing the computers in MSHOME. Also, for me this works in both konqueror and nautilus.
    Has anyone tried Sea_monkey987's idea? I just came back to this thread after dealing with other things. I've been testing this bug from time to time after each update and on any Hardy machine the bug is there. I don't understand why after 2 months this hasn't been fixed yet. This a fairly major bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have been messing around for months with this. Tried the above and it WORKS! I can now browse Vista and XP shares from network.
    You need a samba password ( "sudo smbpasswd -a <username>" use your login password ).

After a restart and time for it to find the network & keyring prompts it's OK. This was in Mint Elyssa so it should work in 8.04.

I can't understand how this isn't better documented and/or easier to set up.

I had looked at "; wins support = no" and wondered.

How many threads are there saying "install samba" and "make sure you have the same workgroup name in smb.conf"
    Thank you very much sea_monkey987
    Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Unhappy Re: Can see, but can't access, WinXP network

I noticed that last night smbclient updates were downloaded and installed so I thought that I'd check to see if the Windows share issue had been fixed. Nope - still fails. Works if IP address is put into Natulis but fails with the graphical access. I am not interested in Ubuntu hosting files for XP access, so I haven't installed samba - only smbclient is supposed to be needed to see Windows shares. I have in the past and it doesn't help this issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ----
    Linux user since before Yggdrasil, Unix before that while with the real AT&T.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chipesh View Post
    I have been messing around for months with this. Tried the above and it WORKS! I can now browse Vista and XP shares from network.
    You need a samba password ( "sudo smbpasswd -a <username>" use your login password ).

After a restart and time for it to find the network & keyring prompts it's OK. This was in Mint Elyssa so it should work in 8.04.

I can't understand how this isn't better documented and/or easier to set up.

I had looked at "; wins support = no" and wondered.

How many threads are there saying "install samba" and "make sure you have the same workgroup name in smb.conf"
    Thank you very much sea_monkey987
    Bob
    I'm glad it worked for you. For me, this is becoming ever more perplexing. I talked to a person who says that he can browse windows shares by just using the default Hardy installation. On top of that, my ubuntu box's listing under the Places > Network window is gone when trying to view from said box's interface (however, I can still browse the box's shares from any computer). Can anybody confirm if in a network running multiple ubuntu computers, the linux computers are listed under Places > Network using only samba file sharing? To add more to the confusion, my ubuntu box is listed and can be browsed fine from an xp computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Unhappy Re: Can see, but can't access, WinXP network

I have never been able to browse Windows shares with a default 8.04 install.
    I have just repeated the above on another up to date 8.04 ( not mint ) install and it worked. However I didn't modify the nsswitch.conf file, although it seems more reliable with this and each "server" appears on its own as well as under "windows network".
    I have a fresh Elyssa install elsewhere on the network and I can't see this machine's shares from that.Though I can see shares on that from this (modified) one.
    Also in 8.04 the default user (admin) can't share files on the network
    Administration /users and groups/user settings/properties/user privileges/share files with the local network
    '
    Seems this is all too restrictive to me.
    Bob

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chipesh View Post
    I have never been able to browse Windows shares with a default 8.04 install.
    I have just repeated the above on another up to date 8.04 ( not mint ) install and it worked. However I didn't modify the nsswitch.conf file, although it seems more reliable with this and each "server" appears on its own as well as under "windows network".
    I have a fresh Elyssa install elsewhere on the network and I can't see this machine's shares from that.Though I can see shares on that from this (modified) one.
    Also in 8.04 the default user (admin) can't share files on the network
    Administration /users and groups/user settings/properties/user privileges/share files with the local network
    '
    Seems this is all too restrictive to me.
    Bob
    Well, my own solution seems to be half broken for me. This is after I did a fresh install and updated everything and then applied my solution. Although, I have tried this on a fresh install numerous times and it has worked, so I'm assuming a latest update killed it. I just hope I can fix it. As far as the admin sharing files, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file to define file shares. Make sure you add the user 'admin' as a samba user using
    Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -ae admin
    and specifying a password.
    I just remembered, make sure you have installed the 'samba' package otherwise filesharing will not work! You'll only be able to 'see' other file sharing servers.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast